Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL completely torn or not?  (Read 933 times)

Offline edio

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL completely torn or not?
« on: July 05, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »
Hello there,

I've had a knee injury playing soccer 2 months ago (jumped in the air and landed on my right foot, which then twisted and hurt like hell), and immediately after the injury I was in a lot of pain for about 10 minutes or so, and after that the pain was reduced and I was able to walk (with a limp).  The swelling was not immediate, and it swelled up a day later when I tried to return to work.  The swelling went down a few days later.  Within a week I was able to walk with almost no pain. 
I went to see the doctor two days after the injury, and the lateral side of the knee was sore on touch, and my doctor thought that I had injured the LCL and possibly the lateral meniscus. 
The PT thought as well that it was my LCL, even though through the tests they did, they said that my knee was pretty stable.
About a month after injury, I returned to practising with the team and I felt OK, even though I was not 100% and my knee was hurting a bit.  I was able to do full sprints, cutting left and right, and kicking ball as well with some discomfort when trying to kick the ball with full force. 
Since then I played a couple of competitive games as well, and did not have any major problems completing the game.
I've had MRI done 2 weeks ago, and went to see my doctor, who told me that he was surprised to get the report back saying that my ACL was torn completely.  He tried to do tests to confirm this and he said the knee felt a bit loose, but it still was holding together pretty good.  I went to practice last night, and felt OK running and sprinting.
I was wondering if someone could tell me their experiences playing sports with completely torn ACLs?  Am I suppose to be able to do stuff that I described above with completely torn ACL (and by the way I never felt since starting to play again that my knee will "give away", even though as I said I still have some discomfort inside the knee, but in the MRI report they wrote that there was some bone contusion as well).
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline kiki88

• Regular Poster
  • Slow and steady gets the cake
Re: ACL completely torn or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 10:08:46 PM »
Hi

I was snowboarding for three days, sometime during which I tore my ACL. My knee was definitely very unstable and i was getting sharp twinges even when just pressing the gas pedal down.  I definitely couldn't run and my jumping was quite feeble.  Even kneeling in a certain way was impossible.  Definitely could not have imagined playing soccer with the instability!

I've read a post on here which said that mri scans can be misread and don't always show the whole picture.  you might want to have a look for the post - i think it's somewhere in the mri and imaging board.

Good luck and hope you'll figure out what's happening with your knee soon!!

kiki
ACL Recon (hamstring) 4 April 2005
Arthroscope on 14 October 2005.  Revealed cyclops lesion, screw in incorrect position, graft too vertical, ruptured graft.  Hardware removed, bone graft to patch up tunnel and screw holes.  Currently waiting for bone to heal before undergoing 2nd ACL in 2006.

Offline hozzer1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 03:09:42 AM »
Ummmmm, I had a completely torn ACL caused riding my downhill bike and though I still rode up until surgery (with Bregg brace)more than a year later.  I couldn't play soccer, if I tried to cut, my knee would buckle and I would go down in serious pain, swelling, etc.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 03:41:33 AM »
I think I've replyed to this post elsewhere, but I thought I'd add.... I didnt have a MRI when I did my injury... they could tell be the muscle wasteage and the results I had to 3 tests... the Lachmans, Pivot and Drawer tests.  I went straight in to have an arthroscope... but we went in prepared to do a reco if it needed it..... and it did.

Alla

Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Softball_Player00

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 04:09:16 AM »
I believe I torn my ACL completely 3 years ago. I had another knee injury this year after a violent collision while playing softball. I noticed some things during those 3 years. I continued to play basketball and softball, but sometimes in basketball I would just fall to the ground after taking a shot or jumping to block someone else's. The pain eventually went away until basketball season came around and then resurfaced. I was never the same b-ball player that I was before my first knee injury. During softball season I had no trouble and was the top player at my position for those three years. When trying to catch, though, I could not slide as far to the left to block a ball as I did right.
My doctor also was surprised at my MRI. My clinical trials never hinted at any ACL damage. My doc actually ruled out the possibility of it in my first appointment...
People who have strong leg muscles usually can do more than those who are not as strong. And that also could be the reason why the doctor could not diagnose it in the beginning. That was the case for me. Good luck

support