Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Strange results with PT. Still don't know what's wrong with my knee though  (Read 1305 times)

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I had an athroscopy 2 months ago to remove lateral plica but post op I have been having heap loads of problems.

I experience sharp pain on the side of my knee when its bent, in particuarly if its bent and weight baring.  My PT and OS have been giving different theories about what could be wrong - meniscus degeration, nerve damage, problems relating to partial fat pad removal, or scar tissue.
The pain is medial, nowhere near the knee cap, much further round towards the side / back of my knee.  Sharp, stabbing.
Also, if I bend my knee and stick my finger in the side of my knee I can manually produce the pain.

Something very strange happened at the PT yesterday - I had a deep tissue massage in my knee joint and down the side of my leg and the pain went completely and I was almost able to squat.  I find this very strange.    I'm just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this, and any idea's what it could be?
My PT was a bit baffled, and couldn't give a definitive answer.   

Any idea's??

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

shadehawk

FJ,

Sorry to hear that you are still having knee problems....It is a good thing that physio has found something that has eased your pain though.  Probably if massage works then a hot water bottle might also aid in pain relief.

Here is a picture of the nerve sites around the knee and sure looks like the area you are mentioning.  http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/enlargeexhibit.php?ID=1972

Hope that the physio will continue to help.

Shade[/color]

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Thanks Shade

I am concerned that it might be a meniscus thing.
Is it actually possible that I could be digging my fingers into my meniscus? Is that possible?

My OS seemed to think that I might have some mensicus degeneration which obviously terrifies me as I don't think there is anything you can do about that...

So I would actually be quite pleased if it was sah. nerve damaged.  Although it bl__dy hurts

plica syndrome
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

shadehawk

FJ,

Hopefully, your OS will get to the bottom of your pain problems soon and be able to find a plan of treatment. 
There are surgical procedures for meniscus repair and also injections that can be tried.

Good luck,

Shade[/color]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 11:31:11 AM by Shade »

Offline jillo

• Regular Poster
That sounds like the pain I had with my meniscus tear.  My PT was actually able to shove it back into place physically as you describe and it quit hurting for almost a year until I locked my knee again.

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Thanks
That's interesting, I'm almost positive that I have got a meniscus problem.
The degeneration is in the posterior horn of the medial side

Is meniscus degeneration a form of arthiritis????
I thought OATS was for cartilidge problems?
My OS did discuss injections although something tells me that this will 'mask' the problem as opposed to solving it.

Thanks again

plica syndrome
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

shadehawk

Hi,

Here is a good article that discusses the meniscus.....

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp

Good luck to you,

Shade

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Thanks for that

One thing I can't seem to find out (anywhere) is what can one do if the meniscus has simply worn away and degenerated and there is no actual tear?

plica syndrome
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

shadehawk

FJ,

This was in the same article, maybe this is the kind of info you mean...

Meniscal Replacement
Experimental attempts to replace damaged meniscus are seen as important recent advances in orthopaedic medicine. The new technology mentioned here has been performed at a few surgical centers across the country on a small number of patients.

Collagen meniscus implant - This is a scaffold of collagen inserted into the patient's knee. Over time, a new meniscus may grow within the joint. This procedure is currently in FDA trials in the United States and has just been approved as an accepted surgical procedure in Europe.

Meniscal transplant - This procedure involves transplanting a meniscus from a donor into the injured knee. Only a limited number of surgeons perform this procedure on a routine basis. The long-term outcomes are still being evaluated.

So, I think the bottom line is that there are treatments available for meniscus problems and maybe the injections give limited relief for the pain until they do surgery.....

Hopefully your OS will find a treatment option that will work for you or else refer you to someone who can deal with these issues....if not get a second opinion.....

Good luck to you,

Shade[/color]