Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LATERAL RELEASE AND MEDICATION  (Read 2387 times)

Offline glennam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LATERAL RELEASE AND MEDICATION
« on: July 05, 2005, 05:45:19 AM »
Hey guys,
a quick question...I had a lateral release performed on my left knee, along with chondroplasty (sp?) last Tuesday (June 28). I have been trying to ween myself off of the pain meds....but around the 5th hours PAIN, PAIN, PAIN....How long will I need to be on pain meds?? It has been 6 days since surgery....I would think it would be better by now???

Thanks,
Glenna

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: LATERAL RELEASE AND MEDICATION
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 06:15:57 AM »
hey glenna~

every person is on pain meds for different times.  its just the way that each body deals with it.  i know some people who are on the meds for a few weeks and some dont need any at all.  just take it easy.  it's only been 6 days.  you also dont have to cut out the meds cold turkey so to say.  what i did was space my meds out more so i ended up not taking as much.  i did that til i could control my pain with a lower strength prescription pain med.  its a gradual step down.  take it easy and listen to your body.  if it needs a pain pill, dont be afraid to use them. 

i hope this helps.  also, good luck with recovery!

~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline glennam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 02:49:12 PM »
Mandy,
The information does help, thank you very much!!

Glenna

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:58:19 PM »
I agree with Mandy on this issue.  I took the pain meds every 6 hours to keep it from happening at all post-op, and I've been med-free since about day 10 or 11 (LR/TTT).  I was on Oxycodone for the first 5-6 days, but was only taking them in the morning and at night by day 5.  Then I switched to Vocodin, but took them only twice a day for a couple days...then only at night, and then nothing since.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 08:37:33 PM »
Hi,

For the first week after my surgery, I took the pain meds around the clock....2 pills every 4 hours (maximum dose). Then, by the 2nd week, I started cutting back.....2 every 6 hours, then 1 every 6, then 1 in the morning and 1 at night, then only if I needed 1 after that. Once I started cutting back a lot, I was able to substitute in Tylenol or Advil. Only do this if it is ok with your doctor though....some pain meds already have Acetomenaphin (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen (Advil) in them...so you could accidentally overdose.

Good luck!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline glennam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 12:23:42 AM »
Thank you for all of the info!!
Here is my gig...(Norco generic hydrocodone 10/325) I took the max dose 1 pill every 4 hours for the first 5 days...then I began to cut back. But only for fear I would run out and the doc would not give me a refill. My doctor is great, but his staff sucks! (excuse the word but it is the best way to describe them). I was in serious pain for 2 months prior to surgery. The doctor wrote me script on the first visit and said if I NEED ANYTHING TO CALL. When I called for a refill (2 weeks later) the nurse said, "do you need them? I didn't think your leg/pain is that bad?" she gave me the run around...as if I was faking or something...very odd and insulting. I told her I would not be asking if did not need them. So she had him call in ultram, which is fine except I DIDN'T WORK AT ALL!!! I did not want to be attacked again, so for 1 1/2 months prior to surgery I was in severe pain!!!  (Because of my injury, I had a fracture and some of the fragments where caught in the joint..very painfulllllllllllllll! So I had this along with the lesion where the knee-cap was rubbing DIRECTLY and I needed a lateral release)
So...I go to see my doctor Thursday, 10 days post-op, should I ask him about refill options or just suck it up???

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 12:25:45 AM by glennam »

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 01:53:40 AM »
You should never have to "suck it up" through pain!! Insist on getting the proper pain meds and use them on a schedule. If you let the pain get "bad" before you take something, it is much harder the keep it under control.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline khaley80

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:29:49 PM »
I was on pain medication for about three weeks after my lateral release. I took them as directed for the first week, then cut back to every 8 hours the second and only took them when I needed them the third week. But I had no problem getting a refill. If you are still in pain I would definately ask. 

Kate
plica removal 11/2000
lateral release 7/2004
arthroscopy 7/2005
TTT/VMO 6/29/06
Hardware removal 5/24/07

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:23:15 PM »
Not only should you ask him for more pain meds, but you should tell him about your experience the last time you called in for a refill.  Request a scrip for a larger quantity of pills this time, so that you can minimize the need for a repeat performance. 

If your OS is telling you to call if you need more pain meds, and his nurse is second guessing his decision, he can also write a note in your chart that he is authorizing XXX refills, or alternate pain meds as needed.  Ask him for a photocopy of that page in his notes, and if you need to call his nurse, remind her that the note in your chart specifically states that you are supposed to get more drugs if you need them. 

Good luck - and stand strong.  Your body cannot heal as well if it's in pain, so it's counterproductive.  Don't let the nurse intimidate you. 
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 06:52:56 PM »
Blackbeltgirl, the only problem with asking for a larger quantity is that there are regulations about the numbers of narcotics that can be legally dispended at one time...and about putting refills on the original scrip.

I suppose this stuff all depends on one's tolerance...I have a pretty high pain threshhold, so I was off meds entirely fairly early on, and had cut way back even earlier.  I haven't taken anything at all since day 11 post-op, and some of them I took to keep pain from coming (the first few days)...or to be able to sleep through the discomfort of the brace, etc.

Right.  I really have to get it in gear to get ready for this meeting.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 07:21:13 PM »
Jen - that's true.  But a lot of docs write a scrip for 30 pills, thinking you'll call if you need more.  In many cases, they can write the scrip for 60, or even 90 pills.  Especially the mid-level narcotics. 

Either way, if you don't ask, you definitely won't receive.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline glennam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 12:13:49 AM »
Thanks to all!!!
I am amped up for my visit in the morning! I appreciate all of the advice...it helps me to know that I am not nuts!!!

Glann

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 03:43:26 AM »
g..u are not nuts...pain meds and pain mgmgt are the bane of the us....nurses sometimes will intervene as there are drug seekers out there..u are not..the lr recovery can go thru troughs where the pain is really intense...due to the mechanics of your patella sliding into its new tracking and the large swath cut to allow for the new tracking...this can occurr for wks or mths for brief to mid periods of time..as u heal and do pt or just re-adjust...listen to your body and as others have suggested work with the doc....let him know your concerns and make sure u are able to get meds if u need them as u recover....

hang in there..

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues