Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post Op Questions  (Read 1381 times)

Offline NattyGann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Post Op Questions
« on: July 04, 2005, 08:03:28 PM »
I had my surgery on last Wednesday, so today is day 5.  I seem to be doing well.  I have an area in my knee that has no feeling but I think it just needs time to heal.  They surgery itself seemed to go very well, except I have yet to see my doctor.  Two docs did the surgery one the graft and one for the osteotomy.  So the graft dr. came is and signed my leg and was really nice told me what to expect.  He introduced me to an intern resident that was working with Dr. Boyd and so would be in the room during the surgery.  I said no problem.  I asked him if they found anything else wrong would they fix that too and he assured me they would. HE told me Dr. Boyd would be in soon and then we would get going.  Then the antheolgist came in I went to surgery.  When I woke up I was with a nurse and being taking care of.  My dcotor never came by to see how I was.  Friday, the intern came and asked me how I was doing.  I said fine and I asked him how the surgery went and he said it went fine there were not problems.  WheN I asked him was specifically was done he didnt know.  I asked him when I would be seeing Dr. Boyd and he said probably at the follow up meeting next week.  I was released from the hospital by this interns name and under diagnosis, there was non made.  I have no idea what was done during the surgery.  My husband did see him for a few seconds after surgery but got very vague information.  Am I overreacting or is something wrong here.  I have to go get my staples out on Wednesday and I dont want to ream this guy out but I feel like I am nothing to him because he hasnt given me the time of day since the first time I met him.  I dont care if he is the best.  MY feelings are hurt.  I am a softy and take things too personally but all I wanted from him was the detail of what he did to my leg, if they found anything else wrong and that if I had any problems I could call him.  What should I say to this man on Wednesday.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Post Op Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:25:31 AM »
Hi NattyGann,

I had a great OS who not only met with my husband after surgery, he apparently came to see me the same evening as surgery (though I don't remember!).  He also stopped by my room every day in the hospital, so I had a chance to ask him everything I wanted to know.

However, he may be the exception to the rule.  It may be that your OS thought his intern was in the loop enough to answer your post-op questions...or perhaps he thought the quick meeting with your husband was sufficient until he meets with you at your post-op appointment.  Nonetheless, you are feeling slighted, so maybe just mention to him that you were surprised he didn't check on you himself while you were in the hospital, as you had questions the intern could not answer.

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Post Op Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 07:13:53 PM »
Hi NattyGann,
   First of all, the numb spot is normal.  I have places on both legs and knees that are still numb years after surgery.  During surgery they cut nerve, sometimes they regenerate and sometimes they don't.  You get used to it.  Secondly, like Kath I saw my OS several times a day while I was in the hospital.  After surgery he usually spends about 45 minutes in the recovery room with me, explaining everything done in surgery to me, and exactly what he wants done during the hospital stay to the nurses (I always have a spinal block with no sedation for knee surgery so I am completely alert during and after surgery, and somehow I am always his last surgery for the day, I guess they do save the best for last  :)).  My OS comes and checks on me in the evening before he goes home and in the morning when he gets to the hospital and then he comes in after lunch.  He is great and I have been seeing him for 25 years (I feel like I have paid for most of his possessions so he should pay extra attention to me!  ;D).  However, I know a lot of people and have read of a lot of people that never see their Dr. and even people that have not been told the post-op protocol!  Hopefully your OS will take the time at your next appointment to fill you in completely.

Good luck,
Patty

support