Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR - unilateral or bilateral?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline kristin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TKR - unilateral or bilateral?
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:56:55 PM »
Hi.  I'm new to board.  I'm 44 and finally been given go-ahead for TKR.  Got 3 kids and leaning toward bilateral tkr to "get it over with".  Any advice?  Had a wicked Fulkerson done 6 years ago, so not new or scared of pain and rehab. Thanks, Happy 4th!!
Grade 4 OA both patellas, 10/98 failed Fulkerson lknee, LR, Medial Reefing, bilateral tkr scheduled fall 2005

shadehawk

Re: TKR - unilateral or bilateral?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 03:20:06 PM »
Kristin,

Hi, if you look in the 'arthritis dept' under 'total knee replacement' you should be able to find some stories in there.  You could also try the 'Rehab Dept' under 'Post-op-diary' and also find information.

Welcome to the board.

Good luck with your surgery,

Shade[/color]

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 10:02:54 PM »
Personally, I would not have bilateral tkrs. I had bilateral scopes, and could literally not walk or get up and down to the bathroom. I had a tkr and multiple problems, and am so thankful not to have had the bilateral surgery. My OS recommended it as the recovery would be "over with" but with the problems I have encountered, I am so happy not to have done it. I believe that they did recommend bilateral tkrs, but now have come to the conclusion, spacing them a few months apart are better.Mostly, the people who post here, have had complications. I was told by PT that the older patients seem to recover easier than the younger ones for tkr. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 12:09:20 AM »
Hi Kristin,

I've had bilateral PKRs and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  However, my OS didn't know for sure if my right knee would require a TKR until he actually opened it up...if that were the case, he said he would only do it and then some months down the road do the PKR on my left.  That's made me think that perhaps I would think twice about having both done at once when the time comes for TKRs.

Even with bilateral PKRs, I was incapacitated for a short while and did need help at home.  But I could move around with my walker and crutches no problem.

Having said that, TKRs are more of a major surgery and a longer recuperation time.  I'm not sure offhand of anyone on the board who has gone through bilateral TKRs, but as Shade mentioned, you may wish to check out the Total Knee Replacement topic under the Arthritis section.

Apparently men have an easier time with knee replacements due to their build (no curvature in the hips)...Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 05:23:29 AM »
I had a TKR in January . I don't know how bilaterals do it and my hat is off to them. I relied too much on the use of my other leg to get around. I think it is a matter to discuss with the doc. Some docs do it bilaterally and some don't. I belong to a knee replacement forum and there are bilaterals who are happy they did it that way. There are some who had their TKRs 6 weeks apart. It is major surgery and a brutal rehab.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA