Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 Months of physio still don't know the problem  (Read 689 times)

Offline robbo1331

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 Months of physio still don't know the problem
« on: July 04, 2005, 12:30:17 PM »
Hi I damaged my knee skiing (I hit a tree) when I was abroad the doctor said I had ruptured my cruciate ligaments, I went to the hospital back in the Uk 2 days after the accident and was told that I hadn't ruptured my cruciates and said there doesn't seem to be any problem but as I was going to see the orthopaedic doctor anyway (I also broke my arm) he would let him have a look when he looked at it and did I few tests although I still couldn't bend my leg he said there was nothing wrong with it and again he checked it 3 weeks later when I went with my arm and he said again there wasn't anything wrong with it and discharged me (still couldn't bend my knee). I went back to the doctors and asked to see a physio he said that I had pushed my knee joint out of place and gave me various exercises to lever it back into position this eased my knee a bit and gave it more flexibility but I was still getting pain all around my knee now after about 3 months of physio I have been told he has done what he can and said I might of damaged or torn my cartilage but is not sure and referred me back to the orthopaedic doctor this is the point I am upto now waiting to see the person who said it was ok in the first place, Is this normal procedure and does it usually take this long to diagnose a problem? Below I will list the pain I am getting and was wondering if anyone can spread any light on what might be the problem.

PROBLEMS: (Left Knee)
Knee locks when straightening sometimes
I can't fully bend my leg without getting any pain down the outside (joint) of my knee.
I get pain around kneecap while walking it feels like somethingís rubbing inside.
I get pain below to the right of the kneecap (where itís soft)
I can feel things move and then if I go to bend my knee I feel something stretching and then I feel it pop back into place.

Sorry this is such a long post but if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks

shadehawk

Re: 3 Months of physio still don't know the problem
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:17:50 PM »
Robbo,

Sorry that you injured your knee.† You will find quite a few people here have had the same problem as you - trying to get a diagnosis of your knee problem.....It took me five attempts to find someone that could detect my problems.† It is very frustrating, but you have to remember to not give up.

Has you physio been able to do any testing of your knee - that is a good place to start - have your physio write up an assessment that you can take to another OS.† You also need to go to an OS that can do multiple types of surgeries.† In other words OS do not all do every type of knee surgery....some specialize in ligaments, some do just cleanup/lateral release type surgeries, some specialize in soft tissue damage....they are not all equal... I am not saying that you need surgery, but saying you need to be assessed by an os that specializes in knees.....

Never feel bad about getting a second, third, fourth or more opinion....if you are in pain - then something is wrong..

Good luck,

Shade[/color]