Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: muscle imbalance  (Read 2188 times)

Offline jono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
muscle imbalance
« on: January 30, 2003, 09:45:55 PM »
i have a imbalance in my knees in particular the vastus medialis. (my bad knee). I also have difficulty staightening this knee. was a keen runner, suffered fractured femur many years ago . I am 53 yrs old.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: muscle imbalance
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 05:24:17 AM »
Hi Jono, I read your post, but you didn't really ask a question. Thought you might want to modify it so you ask a question.
Take care
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 12:37:39 AM »
Hi jono,
Welcome to the board. Was it a tibial plateau fracture?
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline jono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 09:59:02 PM »
i guess i should have asked about suitable excercises for  the vastus medialis which may improve my muscle imbalance

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 06:21:36 PM »
The main one my physio had me do to rebuild the muscle is to lie on a flat surface and basically clench one's front leg muscles -- like trying to push the back of the knee onto the surface.

Apparently if you do it with both legs at the same time it works better and you should be able to see the VM on your good leg bulging out. It worked quite quickly - after a couple of months of doing 20-30 of those a day plus step-ups and things the muscle was noticeably bulkier when contracted.

Once it's working again, your knee should stop doing the clicking thing as your kneecap drifts out of track, which is probably where they difficulty straightening it comes from.

You probably shouldn't be trying to correct this on your own though: can you not go find a physio who can design you a proper exercise programme? Other wise you might do more damage if the problem is more than just the imbalance.

I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline jono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2003, 09:22:35 PM »
i`m from the u.k. physio`s are an expensive option, but you are right i should really see one

Offline cyndezu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I'm not having fun yet!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 10:27:42 PM »
Hi Juno,
There are a lot of post's about dealing with strengthening the vmo. "Where did my quads go" or "Knee pain and quad sets" just to mention a few.
Do search on the subject further, there are lots of tips and advice here on this forum. But, how did you come to this conclusion? Have you seen a Dr.? Yes pt is good for a lot of things but, I hate to see people spend that kind of money when some at home exercises may accomplish the same thing.

Cindy
acl allograph, meniscus repair, patella shaving
August 23, 2002

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 10:09:36 PM »
To Jono

All the best in getting on that VMO. It is a crucial factor in knee stability.
You might want to visit my posts under 'bad left knee' though I would get some advice/directions to which exercises are appropriate for you.

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 06:03:45 PM »
HI,
There are a lot of different places here to find your answers. After my 3 ops and 3 years Im still to get full strenght back in my left leg. Ive had grafts taken so Im not sure if I ever will get it back. I think in some cases thats what happens and if the op isnt a success then the knee and leg hasnt got a chance to rebuild itself. Who knows, knees are tricky little things. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Offline jono

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 10:24:18 PM »
cgp read about your experiences and follow ups. Runners are bad news really we don`t want to give up do we. I can accept not runninga lot but would like the occasional outing.i`m seeing a physio tomorrow who has been recommended i`ll keep you posted  :-[

Offline CGP

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 10:34:50 PM »
Well Jono back in Nov. it was suggested to me I follow a triathlete's lifestyle type program;
Day 1   Swim (or pool run)
Day 2   Bike
Day  3  Run
Day 4   Off
Then repeat the process. THis is to keep 3 days in between runs and it did appeal to me. But knee just kept on being symptomatic.
I did keep to a quazi type schedule where I got one hr. of cardio per day. prior to getting this gait analysis done where it seemed like I may have done further injury to knee, it has been playing up on me after (not while ) I cycle. It gets stiff & sore but does loosen up later. Doesn't like being bent, same with sitting.

Jono, all the best tomorrow  with this recomended physio.

All the best

Chris
Arthrocsopic surgery on left knee for patella plica & partial synovectomy, Nov., 1982 No problems until June,97 stumble during relay, patella-femoral injury, PT. No problems with left knee 'til now.

support