Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Not tolerating PT  (Read 909 times)

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Not tolerating PT
« on: July 03, 2005, 03:29:29 PM »
Ever since my LR's 12+ years ago, my knees have felt great, but they were VERY sensitive -- even when my knees felt 100% fine, I would get slight irritation with closed chain exercises I was told to do after the surgeries. I gave up on PT fairly quickly because I felt like it was doing more harm than good, and soon discovered that I do best with indirect exercise for the quads, i.e., walking. The more I was moving around, the better my knees would feel, and slowly but surely my quads shaped up just fine.

But after my flareup last October of irritated cartilage from idiotically using leg extension machines and walking on the treadmill WAY too much (  ::) ), I'm back to not knowing how to handle the loss of muscle tone in my quads from so much inactivity. Although acupuncture is helping quite a bit with the inflammation in my knees, I feel that I should be doing something while I'm sitting around to start trying to get my quads back. As my OS suggested, I tried starting out very slowly with quad sets. Doing 10 made my knee feel a bit inflamed the following day so I backed off. He then suggested starting at 1 for a few days, then 2 for a few days, etc. But  even this seems to be causing some inflammation (I can feel some puffiness behind my knees, and my knees still feel warm in the mornings until I elevate and ice them down, which is a condition that had just about gone away with the acupuncture!).

Any suggestions on what I should do? My acupuncurist plans to start me on herbs for the knee pain and inflammation next week, so I'm tempted to just see what that does for me and hold off on directly exercising the quads where that seems to irritate my knees. She feels that once the pain and inflammation are under control and I can start moving around more, doing more stairs, etc., the quads will slowly come back to where they were before. I want to trust her, because she has a great deal of experience in dealing with knee problems and is very confident that she can help me. But what would you all do in this situation? Should I try to find a physical therapy place that has a pool and try aqua therapy? Or do pool exercises also tend to aggravate "sensitive" conditions? Do you think I should just lay low and let the acupuncture continue doing its thing? Help! I feel like I'm wracking my brain 24/7 trying to figure out how to deal with this, and every time I start feeling confident that I'm approaching this correctly, I get my doubts again...  :-\
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 03:33:03 PM by KarenS »

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Not tolerating PT
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 06:25:19 PM »
Try watertherapy maybe this can be something for you. You seems like me lost in land of knees and no solutions. I have watertherapy once a week and go to gym once a week, apart from that do stretches at home with personal assistent every day. What limits my life is PAIN. I have to really think of what to do or not.
I know from this board that you are still looking for what causes your problems.
On question have you vever been to a clinic where lots of different docs work togther trying to find out what's best for you ?
I hope you will find the best for you soon. Until then do what your body tells you.

Hugs nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Not tolerating PT
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 08:20:42 PM »
Hi, Nettan. :)

No, I haven't been to a clinic like that (I actually don't know of any like that...?), but my acupuncturist works in an office with massage therapists and chiropractors. I know there's a reason for that. I just wish I had the money for massage therapy, because I'm positive that it would help me. I've been doing a lot of research on this problem I have, because it does seem to be rather odd. My acupuncturist believes that the root of my problem lies in tight muscles/knotted muscles that are radiating pain to other areas (as well as the ITBS problem). I have sore, tight spots on my lower leg that are causing tingling into my ankles and feet (not constantly anymore because the acupuncture has loosened it up a lot, but rubbing these areas recreates the sensations--very annoying!). Even when I rub certain spots on my IT band, I can feel sensations right down to my feet!

So, as I've suspected all along, there is more to this than "chondromalacia." I've had chondromalacia in both knees for ages, and it's never bothered me like this. My OS is so focused on my knees, but they are only part of the picture, I think. In fact, I found a website that had a story of a woman who had years of knee pain, and PT made her knees feel worse. Come to find out, she had tight muscles and knots in areas of her legs that were causing the knee pain. The knee strengthening exercises were only causing her muscles to tighten up more(!!!). Once she got the muscle tightness and the trigger points worked out, her knee pain resolved...because everything was more relaxed and "fell back into place" and the muscles could start working the right way again. It sounded very much like what's going on with me. Who knows, right? I just ordered a book that she recommended on trigger point massage, and I think I'll give it a try. (I'll try anything at this point!!!)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 08:26:43 PM by KarenS »

support