Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Does Hypermobile joints always lead to other probs  (Read 13799 times)

Offline Liz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Does Hypermobile joints always lead to other p
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2003, 08:10:41 PM »
This is absolutely fascinating information.  :)   I'm hypermobile, but luckily not had any major dislocations or injuries (aside from a couple fingers/toes).  I do have problems with patellofemoral syndrome but that seems to be under control (for NOW, heh).  What I am intrigued in is the connection with collagen/scarring, as well as the teeth problems we all have.  

I have both problems.... my teeth have been bad all my life.  I had 8 baby teeth pulled when I was 5 years old due to cavities/bad enamel, and from then on it's just been a string of cavities/crowns/etc.  Currently in my mouth I have 10 filled teeth and 1 crown, and will probably need another crown and 2 more fillings in the near future.  These are always a pain, as I also have the anesthesia issue that people have mentioned as well (my doc knows to double/triple dose me now, heh)   All along, my dentists have told me, "You need to brush better.", but I brushed 3 times a day, used fluoride rinse, floss, etc, and it never helped.  I still do all that and every time I go back to the doc he tells me there's another tooth that needs to be worked on.  I will have to bring this up to him and see what he thinks.

As far as scarring.. I've also always had horrible scarring problems, particularly on my arms and lower legs (where the skin is thinnest).  If I showed you a picture of my arms, you would think I had freckles because of all the dark marks.  Every small scratch, bug bite, that I get turns into a scar.  I've asked my doctor about it, and they were very indifferent, just saying that I needed to be more careful, as well as make sure that I always clean out scratches when they happen (which I ALWAYS do... I should own stock in a antibacterial ointment company).  By now I'm used to it... I'm even wearing a strapless dress for my wedding, scars be damned.  But I've always wondered what causes it and what, if anything, could be done to prevent it.

If the root cause of hypermobility does indeed have something to do with both of these issues.. well, that's really fascinating.  It's not going to help me obviously, but it at least answers questions that I've had for the past 25 years.  :)

Thanks for listening to me ramble,
Liz

Offline Cronauerangelakis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Does Hypermobile joints always lead to other probs
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 06:30:41 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement in keeping on going with the investigation. I appreciate your response.
My son also has a clicking/popping sound in his jaw when he chews or opens his mouth. He mentions it to me often while having dinner. Then i took him to Pembroke Pines Orthodontics and they provide him best treatment and now he is well.