Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI showed nothing, now what?  (Read 638 times)

Offline Patience : )

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Take NOTHING for Granted!
MRI showed nothing, now what?
« on: July 01, 2005, 04:40:34 PM »
Advice please ...
History - Pain since April, 9 wks of physical therapy, cortisone shot, referred to OS MRI showed nothing, another cortisone shot - that was last week. 

Im supposed to go back to OS in a month to let him know what I want him to do.  When the MRI showed nothing he said we have two options - surgery (I said if you cant see anything wrong why do surgery?) or a cortisone shot.  This doctor always seems rushed.  What kind of surgery do you think he meant ... the scope thingee y'all are always talking about?  Should I just let him get in there or just keep up the cortisone shots?

Thanks for any advice you have for me!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: MRI showed nothing, now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 04:47:25 PM »
I think he means to do a diagnostic scope as Mri aren't always 100% accurate.
If this doc not have time to talk to you, why not look for a second opinion which you might be more satisfied with. He's the doc and should be able telling you if you should have a scope or cortizone injection, not you.
Did you have any accident before, or did pain just come or is it overuseinjury ?
Has the doc at all any clue what can be casuing your pain, any diagnose at all ?
Are your doc a OS (orthopedic surgeon) specialized on knees ?

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 04:54:05 PM »
Hi,
 Nettan is right, MRI's are not 100%, they can miss something.  He is probably talking about going in with the scope and looking around.  You didn't describe your pain at all.  Where is it located?  Is it constant?  etc..   I always think that a 2nd or 3rd opinion is a good idea before jumping into any type of surgery.  Personally I would not have more than 3 cortisone shots in a year, 4 months apart, as cortisone can weaken or damage soft tissues and structures.

Good luck,
Patty

Offline Durga

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 05:51:10 PM »
Hi,

Of course he meant anthroscopy, where they can really see inside the knee, and try to correct whatever it is then and there.  However, cortisone is really bad for liver and kidneys in the case of prolonged use.  Did you have an injury, or did it develop slowly?  There are sprains and strains that heal by themselves, there are different types of arthritic conditions.  When I was 28 years old both knees felt like they were broken, and I was diagnosed with rhematoid arthritis.  I listened to an alternative Dr.'s advise with diet (no white sugar, alcohol, shell fish, chocolate), and it went away and never came back.  Now I have a meniscus tear from dancing, and will have anthroscopy after six months of trying alternative therapies.  You should get a second opinion, have an x-ray as well as MRI if pain persists.  Also certain blood tests can determine certain types of arthritis.  Acupuncture can help pain relief and has no side affects like cortisone.  Then there's magnet therapy, hydrotherapy, ayurvedic therapy, etc.  It's not black and white, but first get a proper diagnosis so you know what to treat.  Good luck.
Durga

support