Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Myxoid Degeneration....at 33 years old???  (Read 2756 times)

Offline hopeh71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Myxoid Degeneration....at 33 years old???
« on: July 01, 2005, 02:51:17 AM »
For years now i have had minor problems with my right knee.  usually pain, when walking a lot or the "giving way" feeling.  Nothing that caused me to seek medical care.  Well, last week I bent down to put my 2 year olds shoe on.  I kneeled down on a hard surface and I must have moved wrong, because I had immediate pain.  the pain was horrible, and I could hardly walk.  wanted to walk with my knees bent.  I had an MRI monday, and the report is....
                            myxoid degeneration, posterior horn medial meniscus.
                            small to moderate sized joint effusion.
                            a mild amorpohous signal in the posterior horn, which does not extend to the articular surface.
From what i read, that does not classify a tear.  Correct?
What are my options? surgery? conservative care?
I am a labor and delivery nurse, so I am on my feet a lot at work.  I do have small children, so I am active.
I noticed the pain, is not as bad, when my leg is well rested.  I do have a vague pain that runs up my thigh...feels like when you have walked a far distance and the muscles feel tired.

I go to the orthopedic in 7/19.
thanks for any help
HOpe

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Re: Myxoid Degeneration....at 33 years old???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 01:30:46 PM »
I'm 2 years younger than you and have the same problem.
When I saw my OS a few weeks ago he told me there wasn't really anything you could do about degeneration of the meniscus.

You could prehaps have any injection - cortisone or something - but personally I'm again injections because they just mask the real problem.

I suggest you find a really really good PT.  I say find a good PT because I've seen many bad one's who have made things worse.  Build up strength around the knees / legs and work on realignment.

Don't squat or kneel or work with the pain range.

Let me know how you get on.
plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline hopeh71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Myxoid Degeneration...Saw OS.....please read to help.thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 04:59:57 PM »
Well, I went to the OS, yesterday.  when i got there they did an xray since "their docs like to have x-rays"  when he finally came in he listened to my complaints, looked at the xray quickly, moved my leg around a bit while i sat in the chair and said that it's probably weak ligaments from pregnancy :o!!  Now, granted my last 2 children where born 9/03 and 12/03.  He went on to say how it takes a while for hormones and that.  I then said "but what is this myxoid degeneration"  He hadn't even looked at my MRI films, because I had them there the whole time and the films never left that room.  The nurse layed them out on the table but the OS never even picked it up.  When I asked him that He mummbled something about terminolgy and took two of the 7 films and looked quickly.  He said"yes, here is where they see a signal, when they can't make it out they call it that"  He now wants me to do PT 3 times a week because my right thigh is week...duh...because I've been babying that leg.  He then gave me a script for Naprosyn and to see him in 6 weeks.
Now, if my MRI says myxoid degeneration....wouldn't that be more along the lines of osteoarthritis???  I just don't buy his explanation.