Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Weight gain and lack of exercise  (Read 968 times)

Pumpkin1

Weight gain and lack of exercise
« on: June 29, 2005, 07:45:11 PM »
Hi

I am having a lot of hassel from my family that I need to lose weight.  I am 5 1/2 feet and about 12 stone give or take an inch or pound.

The main problem is I can't exercise - I don't eat that much despite what my mother thinks (yoghurt for breakfast, jacket potato with cheese and fruit for lunch and the majority of the time only a couple of pieces of toast for supper). 

The main activities I do are weight lifting and swimming, with out using my legs.  Both of these only deal with the upper part of my body and I could really do with something that will attack the whole body. 

My really helpful doctor said I could go on weight loss tablets or I should think about doing a gentle jog each day... they also thought for a very long time that I was going round with a broken leg as I never bend the thing!!!

Also some of the medication I am on can cause problems with weight gain so I feel that I am in a hopeless situation.

I am now getting down as my mother, in particular, keeps on at me every day to lose weight and this is getting just a little boring.  Yes I would love to go back to beeing what I was before this all kicked off but I don't think I will ever get down to 7 stone again with out having both the legs chopped off - yes i did have a problem with food then!

Has ANYONE got any suggestions as to how to lose weight sensibly or any suggestions for sports I could do with out spending a fortune that would aid my quest to loose that dreaded weight.

Regards

Sarah

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Weight gain and lack of exercise
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 08:09:06 PM »
I too am 5 feet 6 inches and weigh the same as you!!!

It's really rubbish to have the added pressure of losing weight. My PT told me that it's not good to PUT ON weight with bad knees but that staying the same wieght(even if that's a little overweight) is ok because that's what your body's used to.
Anyway, when I said I wanted to lose weight she really told me to be careful that I didn't give myself something else to worry about and something else to feel bad about myself over. She's very understanding and says it's hard enough being inactive and worrying about having a bad knee without taking something else on. Instead she suggested I avoid 'bad stuff' 5 days out of 7 and eat as much as I want but healthily. Then I can look forward to take-aways and chocolate etc but keep it in it's place as treat and not everyday(I LOVE chocolate)

There are no miracle cures but you are not alone. Perhaps you could use a recumbent exercise bike??? Don't know, but they're quite good and easy on the knees

Keep smiling
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Pumpkin1

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 08:27:57 PM »
Hi

Thanks for that - I might give that 5 out of 7 days a try.  No cycling will help as I can't bend the right knee at all and the left one has a nasty habbit of subluxating when I try to bend it.  I think I will just have to stick to swimming - when my broken wrist gets better

Regards

Sarah

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 08:43:58 PM »
Have you tried water aerobics?  Or even just walking in the water?  For the aerobics class, you can always modify anything that doesn't work for you.  And if you add walking (in chest deep water if you're ok with that) to your swimming, you be adding a lower body workout to your routine.  As to your mom, unless you're really young, tell her you appreciate her concern, but this is a matter between you and your doctor, and not something you are willing to discuss with her.  I have no idea how many pounds are in a stone, but don't let mom get to you.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 09:56:43 PM »
1 stone = 14 lb,lbs

Hi,

Just found this out myself.  It might be hard to do aerobics on bad knees, but maybe walking short distances and recumbent biking might help.  Another thing that I used to do when needed was go to a local pool and get in the aerobic exercise programs.  Wow, the weight really comes off in the pool and it does not put pressure on the knees.  Sorry guess I just repeated most of what Jess said.

Good luck,

Shade

support