Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Excercise following OATS?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Excercise following OATS?
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:47:39 PM »
So I'm now 4 days post op OATS (don't know the exact size of my lesion, but he said if it had been any larger, he'd have had to quit the operation and wait for an allograft). This was in a weightbearing area - medial condyle. My doc is following a new post op protocol that has me NWB for 4 weeks, then PWB for 3 weeks. I go back to see him on Tuesday for post op.

In the mean time - I'm starting to feel better (the first few days were miserable), being careful to stay NWB of course, but what exercises can I do until my doc starts the PT? SLRS - lie on the floor on my back and raise my leg (straight) one leg at a time? Passive ROM - sit on a bench and let my leg swing so that I get more motion?

I guess my ROM is okay - I've got a fairly comfy 90 degrees when I sit in a chair, even given the huge amount of padding that I've got around my knee.

I'm starting to look and feel fat and out of condition - help!
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: Excercise following OATS?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 12:12:43 AM »
I'd ask your OS to be sure.  But things like ankle pumps, quad sets and SLR are typically OK.  Working some on ROM is helpful too.  I actually had a CPM machine for the first few weeks for this.  I'd still ask and be sure.

danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

support