Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: One leg shorter than the other  (Read 896 times)

Offline BionicGirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
One leg shorter than the other
« on: June 29, 2005, 04:39:09 PM »
Hello,

I dunno if Im posting this in the right section or if anyone will be able to offer me advice, but here goes

I broke a few things last august in a car accident, including both femurs (Which now have IM nails in them). As if I wasnt having enough probs with the injuries themselves, my left leg (in which I also broke my patella) is now about 2cm shorter than the right.

My physio has told me that this is a significant difference and will probably cause me back/hip problems in the future if nothing is done, and that I should speak to my consultant (who I am seeing next week) about what to do about it. She said the one thing that I didnt want her to say that he will probably recommend a raised shoe.

I am 25 and to be perfectly honest the thought of wearing some kind of freaky granny shoe makes me feel Ill I know that folk will tell me not to be so vain and that a freaky shoe is better than damaging my back and I know that they are right. I have tried to make jokes about it to my friends telling them that Im totally not bothered. But I am.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and can offer advice! I normally wear trainers (apart form when Im at work then its flat black shoes), I just think a trainer with a raised heel will look ridiculas.

BionicGirl
27/8/04 Car accident: Fractured L Patella, L Foot, L Femur, R Femur, R Tib/fib, R Elbow
27/8/04-6/9/04 Three operations - All Fractures had metalwork put in
27/10/04 Discharged From Hospital
18/04/05 Back to Work

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: One leg shorter than the other
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 05:29:59 PM »
Hi

I broke my tib fib in 4 places almost 5 yrs ago. I had the IM nail and plates and screws . Also had the same leg surgically rebroken to correct an external rotation of 40 degrees , leg was replated. This left me with a leg 1/2 inch shorter. Yes, It does cause hip and back pain ! I have worn a 1/2 inch heel lift in my cross trainers and switch it out in other shoes when I can. Sometimes vanity takes over and I wear sandals, flipflops, or mules.......I go without the lift, but pay a price with hip and back pain. I have a very bad limp without the lift. I would give the lift a try before any drastic measures taken.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline BionicGirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: One leg shorter than the other
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 09:50:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply pam,

I also have quite a bit of external rotation of the foot in my right leg - I broke tib fib in that leg. One consultant that I saw said that they wouldn't do anything to correct this as the risks of surgery (infection/ not healing etc)  could potentially cause more problems than the rotation of my foot. But I think that I am already getting a bit of pain in my knee due to the rotaion - I assume its only gonna get worse. What did your surgeon say about the surgery to correct the rotation?

Also with your raised shoe - do you have to buy special shoes or can they do it to your own? And do people notice?

BionicGirl
27/8/04 Car accident: Fractured L Patella, L Foot, L Femur, R Femur, R Tib/fib, R Elbow
27/8/04-6/9/04 Three operations - All Fractures had metalwork put in
27/10/04 Discharged From Hospital
18/04/05 Back to Work