Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Elmslie Trillat Procedure  (Read 1230 times)

Offline bex1708

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Elmslie Trillat Procedure
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:43:55 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you for taking time out to read my message  :D

Well I have a Elmslie Trillat Procedure scheduled for 09 September this year and i'm already getting nervous.  After finally thinking YES!!!!!! Someone can help me the horrible thoughts are now kicking in.

What if it doesn't work, what if i'm in more pain, what if I cant dance anymore etc etc.  Really starting to panic.

I move into my own appartment on my own next week and going to stay at my mums for a week or 2 after my op but I will be on the first floor and worried about getting up and down stairs after the operation.

Due to some blood clotting disorder my mum passed to me (Thanks mum) I can only have a splint which scares me even more. DO you have the same protection as a cast?

Oh and how easy is it to shower? Or hard should I say. I only have a shower cubicle.  :(

Can anyone please give advice or encouragement am getting a little nervous

Becci x

shadehawk

Re: Elmslie Trillat Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 01:09:45 PM »
Becci,
HANG IN THERE!!  If you go to the section called 'Library' then 'Products you can't live without' you will find info in there of things that might help after surgery.  ALSO, if you look in the section called 'Rehab Dept' then 'Post-op Diary' you will find people's personal stories after their surgery.  There are quite a few diaries regarding the TTT surgery so you will find lots of information in there.

You might be talking about an immobilizer - I just put the picture of a zimmer immobilizer into the section just above the 'products you can't live without' called 'braces'.  With an immobilizer your leg can not bend - splinting would also be the same. 

Try to trust your OS and relax a little.  Know this is a hard thing to do - I also am awaiting surgery and the nerves do get frayed.....

Wishing all the best for you,

Shade[/color]

Offline bex1708

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 01:19:23 PM »
Thank you for your advice and encouragement.

Good luck with your op  :)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »
Becci,

I've had an Elsmlie Trillat on both of my knees and both were a complete success, I no longer dislocate or sublux at all.  Try not to worry too much.  Just take your time getting up and down the stairs, the worst thing you can do is rush it.  For showering you could do what I did and tie and plastic bag around your leg over your cast or splint and secure at the top and bottom with tape to keep it dry - it worked well for me and allowed me to shower every day from the start.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 05:38:52 PM »
Hi Becci,

I just had an Elmslie-Trillat TTT 3 1/2 weeks ago. Even now I can tell that the surgery has had a positive impact....my kneecap is sitting centered and tracking straight!! About the splint....that is what my OS referred to mine as, but I ended up in a Breg Post-op brace. As far as showering....I did the sponge bath thing for a week. After that I was allowed to get my leg wet. My shower is a small cubicle too and I actually found that it was easier to keep my balance in there.

I'm sure everything will go great!!!! Good luck!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 10:05:32 PM »
Becci,
Because I'm a 35-year-old smoker, I am at high risk for clotting.  I did Lovenox injections twice a day for a week.  It was originally going to be three weeks, but the OS took me off of it because the bruising was REALLY bad.  You might ask about therapeutic aspirin to reduce your risks.

As far as the brace goes, I think I'd go insane in a cast first of all...and secondly, a brace will allow earlier ROM work.  It's HARD, but worth it in the end (I'm sure...I'm still only up to 50 degrees, but that's better than being stuck in a cast!).  Because I started SLRs and quad sets the first day post-op, I haven't lost any quad strength at ALL.

I did bird-baths for the first week because my OS was adament about not getting the incisions wet.  I'm still cling-filming my incisions because the one is still bleeding actively, but I'm using a shower seat and removing the brace then wrapping up the incisions whilst my leg is propped on the toilet.  It's quite a sight to behold, I'm sure!

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

support