Banner - Hide this banner

Poll

I am in the ARMY and need help with a knee question

how long before i recover
2 (66.7%)
how painful will it be
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: kneecap realignment by lateral release and quad transfer ques from a US soldier  (Read 4473 times)

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
well like everyone i am curious to know all about what i am getting done. i am in the army, where all we do is run......... and i continue to dislocate my patella. i went in to my doc and after time and time of therapy, he has decided to do a surgery.   what he is planning to do is release tissue by open surgery and cutting the retinaculum, then doing a quad transfer by parting the muscle and attaching it to my patella to keep it from dislocating.......... well i can ask my doc all day but he does not give me striat forword answers so i will ask you guys... how long will i be out, how much will it hurt, can i traval, will i ever run again, and is it ever the same again?   i want to continue to serve my country, and do my duty so please help me and my knee... thank you   surgery is on the 12th of july.............. please help ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:51:02 PM by cuba »

shadehawk

Cuba,

Hi from what you are describing this sounds like a proximal realignment procedure.  You might be having a VMO advancement & Lateral Release from your description.  This surgery is done to try to stop the dislocations by getting the pattella in a better position.
I am having a similar procedure at the end of July myself - I'll be in an immobilizer and on crutches.  Every doctor seems to have a different protocol for post-op recovery.  Mine is approx. 4 weeks NWB with crutches/immobilizer on for 3 - 4 months/Physio beginning approx. a week after surgery. I have not had the surgery yet so can't tell you for sure that you will run again, but from everything that I have read - the answer should be YES....
You should be much better than you were before surgery.

Here is an article that might explain all these procedures to you: (you have to scroll way down the page)
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/lat_release.html

Hope that you have a good surgery and a great recovery.

Good luck to you,

Shade[/color]

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
Cuba,

I have this type of surgery on both knees (TTT - Tibial Tubercle Transfer) and, for me, it was a complete success, although I do still have some pain and am limited to what I can do, I can do a whole lot more than I could before the surgeries, and the fear has gone now too, you know, the constant fear of "when will it go again", that in itself has been wonderful. 

Pain wise - it shouldn't be too bad if you keep on top of your meds.

You can travel as soon as you've recovered (although I do still find that my knees swell up on a long flight).

You should be able to run again - I personally cannot but this is due more to my OA than to the TTT.

Hopefully you'll find that it will be better than before  ;D

Have a look down at the Patello Femoral section and you'll find loads of information on TTTs.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

shadehawk

Cuba,

Did your OS mention anything about moving the tibial tuberacle (cutting through the bone and re-attaching to a better location and affixing with screws)?  That is a tibial tuberacle procedure or distal realignment procedure.....

I had the impression that you were speaking about proximal realignment procedures like a Lateral Release, VMO advancement & Medial Plication or Medial Reefing procedure.  There is quite a difference in the two procedures.  Maybe you can see the differences in the procedures and let us know what procedures you are getting. 

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/realignment03.html
(have to scroll way, way down for information)

There are many posts in the 'Rehab Dept' under 'Post-op diaries' that will help you also.

Good luck,

Shade[/color]

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
On reading the post again, I think you're right Shade, it sounds more like the proximal realignment.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Cuba,

I can't tell you anything about your planned surgery, but I want to say   T H A N K   Y O U  ! ! !  for serving your country and wanting to continue to do so.  

G O O D    L U C K ! ! !    and     L O T s    of    H U G S ! ! !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

shadehawk

Cuba,

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgery on July 12th.

Sending you good vibes & a speedy recovery ............................

Shade

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 12:04:27 PM by Shade »

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
thank you..... it is always nice to hear from you.......................i am so happy you encourge people like me. in cuba people are not like that, so thank you

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
good job

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Cuba,

If the procedure you are having is a proximal reallignment with Lateral Release, I wish you all the luck.  I just had one May 23rd.  Now, you have to realize that all doctors have different protocal in what they do as far as post op activities.  I was in a locked brace for 5 weeks and nonweight bearing.  I was just unlocked last Tuesday and was given permission to start bending the knee up to 60 degrees in my brace.  I am now partial weight bearing, although I'm not supposed to put a lot of weight on it until I see the doctor again in 2 weeks.  Hopefully then I'll start a physical therapy regiment.  I begin teaching again August 18.  I'm just hoping to be able to be off crutches 100% by then.  There are some doctors who have patients moving the leg right out of surgery, others have been casted or braced for months.  As far as running, I'm not sure on that part.  The best thing is to ask the surgeon all the questions.  I was told that in my case it would take a year to fully heal and since I'm not much of an athlete anymore, my main concern is walking pain free and in case of an emergency with one of my students by able to get to them quickly.  I would not be running everyday.   I think because of your overall health from being in the military and the discipline and determiniation that military personell have, this surgery will probably be a breeze for you.  You'll be back on your feet in no time.  Good luck with the surgery. 

Stay safe down there ... and thank you and all your buddies from the bottom of my heart for the job you do to protect our country.  Enjoy the Fourth of July.

Kris 
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

Offline RebelsNMisfits

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Me and my boys
Cuba,

As far as your recovery time, a lot depends on how much reconstruction the surgeon has to do and the amount of effort you put into your rehab. I was formerly in the service  and was given a physical evaluation board after the surgeon found OA in all 3 compartments in my right knee and similar onset of the symptoms in my left knee. They put me out after 9 years of service, but that was 15 years ago. My older 2 sons are both in the Army and both have previous reconstruction surgerys, the oldest who is 22 had reconstuction of his shoulder and the middle son who is 20 had his hip pinned. I think a lot depends on whether you can continue to pass the PFT"S.

Earl
Multiple dislocations Rknee 1978
Diag. CMP, Pat. Maltracking 1981
Scope 1989-OA of both knees -told to live with it
PKR  7/21/05
Scope LKnee 11/08/05 lateral release and debridement
TKR August 28'06 - Revision of PKR to TKR May16 2008

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
On reading the post again, I think you're right Shade, it sounds more like the proximal realignment.

Natalie.
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-\ ???

Offline cuba

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)

support