Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Preference between crutches and walker?  (Read 1182 times)

eyesofblue612

Preference between crutches and walker?
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:50:46 PM »
Upcoming LR in 2 days.  Got my new crutches today and was told to practice a while.  I can barely hold my own weight.  I have previous back problems that required surgery and am a larger gal.  Just curious to know if anyone out there that may have been a bigger person used a walker rather than crutches and if you felt more stable in doing so.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Re: Preference between crutches and walker?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:33:50 PM »
I tried the walker after my first surgery and I personally didnt care for it. I tend to take long steps and I kept hitting my leg on the front of the walker. I was more stable and able to move around better on my crutches. I was heavier with my first surgery but have since lost a bit of weight.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 03:25:12 AM »
Hi! When i went to have my LR i forgot my crutches at home(blonde moment or something, not sure?!), so after the op when i had to go to the bathroom they had me use a walker to get there, and it was a horrible experience. I made it about 5 steps and then just had my mom be a crutch and held on to the wall with the other side and sort of shuffled the rest of the way. I got home and my crutches were a wonderful sight! I couldn't have made it without my crutches, never again will i use a walker! But everybody will likely have different opinions, mine is crutches all the way. I wish you the best of luck with everything,
Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:57:31 PM »
I'm a pretty big girl, and I've had no trouble with crutches.  I've tried a walker at the hospital once or twice, but never liked it.  Granted, part of that was the age factor.  My great aunt used a walker when I was a little girl, and my grandmother... I associate them with old people, not me.  (Of course, I associate bad knees with anyone but me too, but that doesn't change reality).  That said - you may need to do more research.  Will you be completely NWB?  toe touch?  partial?  I think it's difficult to be NWB with a walker.  You may also just need the crutches adjusted, and lessons in using them properly.  They should actually land a couple of inches below your armpits.  And your body weight is not supposed to go on the armpits, but on your hands.  Lots of good questions, but your OS and maybe a physical therapist (for fitting and training) are probably your best answers.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 05:45:58 PM »
When I was in hospital last year after my knee gave way and my back went into spasm - the physios gave me a walker.  I was okay with it, but experienced after a while numbness in my hands.  My OS told me that this was due to the walker.  Apparently I was leaning on the walker and it was affecting the nerves in my palms.

I've always been better using crutches.  It just takes practice and little steps at first.

Good luck
Lizzie
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 08:28:16 PM »
I,too, preferred the crutches, but never was told to use them after LR, was , in fact, told like all other patients by this OS, I could immediately return to my normal activities, school, work, whatever, and no words to not weight bear as usual. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 08:37:42 PM »
I used my stepmother's stepmother's (does that make her my step-step-grandmother?) walker the first day and a half because I had complete nerve blocks...and was released from hospital without being cleared for safety by PT.  That's a long story...but now I'm a champ on the crutches.  I'll tell you, though...get some padded grip covers whichever you choose.  That cuts down on the pain in the hands.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

support