Author Topic: Scars  (Read 899 times)

Offline claire.S

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Scars
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:58:45 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to know if any one had a big knee scar 16cm or more, and if so does it bother them, my scar is not straight and thick, as it was a compound patella fracture, so where the bone came through is still really sensitive and numb at the side two years on. Last year the scar was opened up again to remove the wiring from patella, they only opened part of the scar.  The thing is not only does it look awful, but it feels tight and uncomfortable, even though I massage it regularly, the scar where the skin was torn is very tender to touch (can't kneel on it) and very calasy.  Can anyone give me advice on this?? Do people wear shorts in the summer regardless, I don't at the moment, and should I still protect it from the sun, the torn part is 2 years old, rest was opened up 1 year ago.

love and best wishes to all, Claire x
Jan 2003, Car Accident, compound fracture of L Patella,(tension, band wiring, screws) fractured R clavicle, Facial injuries.
Jan 03, open wound wash out, then closed
2004 Metal work removed from knee (3 knee ops)
Many other non knee ops(May 05 clavicle op to have plate out)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Scars
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:39:31 PM »
Hi,

I would still wear shorts. I was just told to put sunscreen on it....if it is unprotected in the sun it can turn really red and pucker. You might also try some scar creams or lotions or just simply breaking open vitamin E capsules and rubbing the liquid on your scar.

Good luck!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 11:40:46 PM »
I have a five inch scar on my left knee as well as various small ones. I also have a 4 inch one on my right ankle. I still wear shorts and dont care if people stare (and some do) For the first year, put sunscreen on the scar so that it doesnt turn dark. My entire knee cap is numb. The OS has cut all of the nerves in it and it has not recovered. It is weird when I shave my legs but doesnt bother me other than that. I still cant kneel either. The medial side of my knee has been sore to the touch for 3 yrs now. It never goes away for me. I am not self conscious over my scars. I earned everyone of them lol.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline SuburbanLife

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 06:35:43 AM »
I've got an 11 inch scar from a TKR, ugly as it could be, crooked, uneven, thick. When they took the staples out it spread apart, despite my best efforts to keep it together, still got real thick. I put Maderma on it regularly, have applied vitamin E alot, still looks like he-double toothpicks. One side is numb, doesn't bother me. I wear shorts and I don't care, get all kinds of looks and comments, what can you do? Unfortunatly scars are really something that you can't control the outcome of, I tried and it didn't work. Wear shorts, be comfortable, just let the looks roll off and don't hesitate to just be yourself!
March 2005-Total Knee Replacement