Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 acl recon. on same knee????  (Read 1333 times)

Offline 3acldave

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • must check out WWW.AskYourSurg eon.com !!!!!!!!
2 acl recon. on same knee????
« on: January 26, 2003, 08:02:20 AM »
Im 25 and face 3rd acl reconstruction overall and the 2nd on my right knee. I would love some input from anyone familiar with this op. . my doctor told me up front that it is much worse the second time and from x-rays he didn't think I would need a bone graph to fill the tracks...should I have it (setup for 1/30) or back out like I am wanting to do...what kind of pain should I expect..will it be worse then the first time???What kind recovery time??? and should I really do it I mean it doesn't really hurt or slow me down any.....HELP!!!!!
27...R acl 1994..L acl 1997..R acl again on 1/30/03.....prayer heals....

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: 2 acl recon. on same knee????
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 11:09:54 PM »
pretty much the same at the first one.  Except you feel like more of an a$$hole for having to go through it again.  At least, mentally you know what to prepare for. 

Good Luck
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 11:13:51 PM »
My second ACL reconstruction was much easier than the first, then again I had a lot more done the first time.  Normally the recovery time is longer because OS tend to be much more conservative.  However with mine, my OS was super aggressive and I returned to full competition at 3.5 months. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 03:11:28 PM »
My 2nd ACL reconstruction was harder in a few ways.
1. I had to have bone grafting to the bone tunnels (becasue the first OS has misplaced the tunnels the first time and that is why is failed) and then wait 12 weeks to have the ACL done.
2. It was hard to be waiting those weeks, doing therapy knowing I was going in for another surgery.
3. I had a meniscus transplant at the same time, and my OS took my graft from my other leg, so I was in a lot of pain post of in both legs!
4. I don't think the rehab was any worse, except I developed a lot of scar tissue and needed another surgery 3 months later to clean all that out.
5. After all that my knee was real weak and it took a long time to get it back to a place I wanted to be.

I think it will be alright. I am facing a 3rd reconstruction on that knee in a few weeks and I am not looking forward to it, but my knee is so unstable now that if I am having a lot of problems.

Make sure your OS is experienced in ACL revisions, not just reconstructions, because revisions are a lot more tricky to perform correctly.

Good Luck!
Melanie
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline schuss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 02:54:23 AM »
I am 55 years old and have just had my second ACL reconstruction on my left knee on 5/11/05.  My first ACL reconstruction was four years ago.  I don't seem to see much out of the ordinary but it's only been one week since surgery.  There is one thing I disturbs me.  I have some pain on the inside of my shin of my left leg -- I think I was clamped real hard there.

support