Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can't figure out how to use the blasted cane  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Can't figure out how to use the blasted cane
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:38:23 AM »
OK, so I'm stupid.  I'm finding it hard to do long distances with the single crutch.  Not from anything related to my knee, but rather that it messes up my body mechanics and hurts my back.

So, thinking I would be slick (since I have a pretty bad limp and lack of balance if I walk unaided) I went out tonight and bought a cane.

I can't figure out how to walk.  If I lean on it like I need to, my arm wobbles and I'm unsteady.  I've tried pinning it to my side, which helps the balance somewhat, but feels really awkward.

Has anybody used one?  How the heck did you transition to it?

I swear I never thought learning to walk again would be such a hassle. :P
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Can't figure out how to use the blasted cane
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 03:01:44 AM »
Dannielle,

Unfortunately, I have figured this out.  I find it works best for me to have the cane opposite the bad leg.  I've found that the arm needs to be straighter than when you use crutches, just a bit.  You're right the arm can wobble at first.  Make sure the weight goes straight down the cane; too much of an angle or it can slip out.

I can't walk very far without it, so I get a lot of practice, whichever knee is hurting I use it on the other side.

Hope this helps a little, the only way to really get good at it is to do it.

H U G s !  !

Rozzzie

OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:06:23 AM »
Danielle,

A cane isn't meant to support as much weight as a crutch--are you perhaps leaning on it too heavily?

Try returning the one you have and getting a quad cane--it has four padded 'feet' at the bottom instead of just one.  Basically, it's a normal cane all the way down to the bottom, then it branches out into a sqare with four feet.  It can provide a lot more stability, but it is definitely great, great granny material.  Hey, who cares, right?

Heather

http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?categoryID=79
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 03:21:02 AM »
Danielle,

Heather M. is right, the quad cane is much easier to use, more stable etc.
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
OK, so I'm stupid.  I'm finding it hard to do long distances with the single crutch.  Not from anything related to my knee, but rather that it messes up my body mechanics and hurts my back.

So, thinking I would be slick (since I have a pretty bad limp and lack of balance if I walk unaided) I went out tonight and bought a cane.

I can't figure out how to walk.  If I lean on it like I need to, my arm wobbles and I'm unsteady.  I've tried pinning it to my side, which helps the balance somewhat, but feels really awkward.

Has anybody used one?  How the heck did you transition to it?

I swear I never thought learning to walk again would be such a hassle. :P
Danielle

I am sure you already know this but the cane or single crutch are used on the opposite side from your bad knee.  For example: if your surgery was on your right knee...then the cane/ crutch is used in your left hand/ left arm.  Just making sure you knew this!!
Good luck.
October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

shadehawk

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 12:34:45 PM »

Hi,

This is my personal choice for a cane, you can buy them at shoppers drug mart and they are really cheap.  Notice the handle - they allow you to place pressure on it - many other types do not.   The one Heather M. showed you allows for this also.  They are offset and if you have weak wrists like me they work really well and the padded handles are a must (or your hands will be raw).

It is hard to get the hang of walking with a cane to start with - you will get used to it though, you put your cane & the opposite leg (bad leg) down at the same time & take a step & then take a step with good leg.  You do find it easy once you get used to it & it relieves  pressure placed on your bad knee.  These canes are also height adjustable.....

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 01:44:03 PM by Shade »

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 03:37:13 PM »
Thanks guys.

I've been using the cane on the proper side, but it was still very awkward.  I brought it up at PT today and we spent 20 minutes having a cane learning session.  After a lot of practice (and adjusting it to the right height and not moving it too far forward) I think I'm starting to catch on. 

Quad cane?  I'd rather use the crutch.

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

shadehawk

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 03:47:04 PM »
Danielle,

Hey, good for you.  Glad to hear you are getting the hang of it.  I tried the quad canes and found them too cumbersome and heavy, but it depends on what is wrong with you also.  I see quite a few people using them.

Hope you get some relief away from crutches.

Shade[/color]

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 05:50:05 PM »
Use one crutch only, on the good side. Ask your Pt to show you. I struggled for ages until the PT adjusted the height(elbow crutches) and showed me how to walk 'normally' just with crutches to help.
Hope you find it easier soon
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 02:08:40 PM »
The cane's going OK.  I finally caught on to it yesterday (that and adjusting the height helped). 

Did anybody else have trouble with the transition off crutches and onto a cane?  I didn't have any problems going from two crutches to one, but the transition to just the cane makes my knee hurt. 

Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

shadehawk

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 02:58:04 PM »
Danielle,

I tire quickly with my cane also - think it is because you are putting pressure on the knee and stooping over a little also.

It is hard to walk with a cane - I have been using a cane for a long time now & it does not get easier.  Sorry to be telling you this......

If you feel good with one crutch then you can always use the crutch for long hauls and the cane for just short jaunts.  Maybe that would work better for you....

Good luck,

Shade[/color]

support