Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Old Knee Injury  (Read 640 times)

Offline JohnnyFlowers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Old Knee Injury
« on: June 27, 2005, 09:57:15 AM »
Hi,

I'm 42 years old and living in Kampala, Uganda.

I've been carrying a knee injury, which I got playing rugby, for about 18 years. At the time the Doctor said that it was Osteoathritis and would be too expensive to operate on.

Since then, whereas I have no problem walking or doing normal activities, I have always been conscious of a little pain and stiffness. Occasionally the pain has been acute.

Unfortunately, everytime I've seen a general doctor about pain or discomfort, I've been reminded that my insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.

I have now reached a point where I need to do something about the knee and would be grateful for advice on the best way forward in the circumstances.

Best Regards.

shadehawk

Re: Old Knee Injury
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 10:24:03 AM »
Johnny,

Welcome to the board.  If you do have OA your GP could be giving you medications for it.  Have you been taking any of the meds like celebrex for your OA?  Maybe that would really help your condition.  Some people have had amazing results with the medications out there now.

You could also get some exercises at physio that might help.

Surgery is not always necessary - why not talk to your GP about how you feel.  You should be wearing very good shoes  like cross-trainers or hiking shoes.  You can get real cushioned shoes now and they will also help your knees feel better. 

Good luck and let us know how everything is going.

Shade

PS:   You might want to check out the posts in the Arthritis Dept to see how other people with OA are treating their situations.  You could also be taking Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements.  [/color]

http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/alttherapies/Glucosamine.asp
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:34:39 AM by Shade »