Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Summer brace problems, help!  (Read 1143 times)

Offline KawaiiKagura

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Summer brace problems, help!
« on: June 27, 2005, 06:46:53 AM »
I had no idea where to post this but here goes. I have dislocated my right patella and am currently awaiting an arthroscopy. This happened when the weather was much cooler and now that its heating up, my brace (which is a full hip to ankle with a smaller stabilizer underneath) is causing me a lot of trouble. It used to just rub the skin or any clothing underneath it raw, so I put saran wrap around my leg first. That trick worked for a while, but now that its hot out, it gave me a really bad rash. I'm assuming its nothing more than heat rash but am going to the general practitioner just to be sure. In the mean time, I was wondering if this happens to any of you and if so, what kind of treatments do you use? I have done every kind of hydrocortisone and calamine lotion there is, and the itching is so bad I can only sleep for 1-2 hours at a time if I even get to fall asleep at all. This is quite possibly worse than the stupid knee injury >.< Any thoughts or suggestions would be so very appreciated!

Offline vix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Summer brace problems, help!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:48:44 AM »
May be try some anti-histamines they are very good for rashes and itches.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 06:51:58 AM by vix »

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 07:02:54 AM »
Hi

Yes I feel your frustrations with constant itching under your brace, yes it is incredibly irritating........I know about alot about losing skin and rubbing the itchy area until the area's is raw and is weeping fluid and hurt when you pulll you brace back on again. What about trying a cotton sleeve, that has no seams at all under your brace?

Yes that was what made me look around for a brace that has minimal contact areas to the skin, I used to get itches behind my knee cap, plus lost skin and rashes to top it off. I think it may help having a brace with minmal contact to the skin as the one I have , has two anchoring point to hold the brace on my knee.

AFO and AFHO are material free. Most are made of some sort of special plastic that molds to your leg, in summer it gets hot, and sticky, but at least I don't get any bad rashes, skin sores as of yet in my AFO {Ankle foor Othotic].

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:41:41 PM »
Gold Bond powder.  It will help with the itching, and it will help reduce friction under the brace.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)