Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Going in for lateral release with a degenerating vastus lateralis?  (Read 817 times)

eyesofblue612

On my MRI, my report did not indicate anything to be wrong with my knees except for degeneration of the vastus lateralis muscle and tendon.  Keep in mind that SEVERAL doctors have seen plain film x-rays of my knees and have indicated not only a bad patella tilt, but also severe arthritis.  I have seen so many posts on the site regarding quad strengthening and was curious to know if I can expect a long recovery due to one of my quads being in a degenerative state prior to surgery.  I have been limited in my activity for so many years due to knee pain, that I'm sure this is what has caused the degeneration of this muscle.

Again, I'm reading on here and continually getting more and more scared.  My surgery is in 4 days and I think I'm going to need a TON of Ativan to get me to even remotely be calm prior to going under.

shadehawk

Re: Going in for lateral release with a degenerating vastus lateralis?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:43:42 PM »
Hi,

Hang in there, not long to wait now and then you will be on the other side of this surgery and beginning the road to recovery.  Hopefully, this will allow you to regain some mobility again & begin to once again do some of the things that you enjoy.

You know that an LR is indicated for patella tilt so stop worrying so much.  Your other post said: This ortho wants to do a lateral release, clean up the torn cartilage and will correct anything else in there that can be done.   If you have a surgeon that is willing to do all he can to help with your pain I'd think that was a good thing.  You said that you have had limited activities for years - this might help.

Let us know how everything is going.

Sending good vibes your way ......................................

Shade[/color]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 11:49:31 PM by Shade »

support