Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: autologous chrondrocyte transplant  (Read 954 times)

Offline anothermale3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
autologous chrondrocyte transplant
« on: June 26, 2005, 03:48:57 PM »
I am 37 years old and very active. i have had 3 surgeries on my right knee.  i have been told no more running and no more basketball about a year ago. so i have stopped. but i have continuous flluid on my knee. constant pain. i was told i have bad arthritis now.  my question is this.  am i a candidate for this type of transplant? my doc knows nothing about it. i would have to go to a major city with this.  but i dont want to waste the trip if i am not even able to have it done.  otherwise i am going to try for the total knee replacement even at my age.  i cant do anything hardly with my kids. and i am tired of it. 

second question.  if i do ge the total knee replacement. can i still do active things like run with my kids around the yard.  play one on one basketball with them? or am i just able to wallk and be a dud?

shadehawk

Re: autologous chrondrocyte transplant
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »
Hi,

WOW, 37  seems awfully young to want to have a TKR. 
Check out this site and maybe it will help you some

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

Here is a site on TKR also: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/booklet/thr_report.cfm?thread_id=9&topcategory=knee

You can go to the Arthritis section and then check out A.C.I. and talk to people that have had this procedure and get some advise from them.

Good luck to you,

Shade

eyesofblue612

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 05:40:27 PM »
I'm 35 and was referred to our state's University Hospital for the cartilage transplant procedure.  I was told at my age no ortho would EVER do a TKR on me unless I was virtually unable to walk.  This was told to me by two different ortho's.  I have a history of patella dislocation and very bad arthritis.  Doing stairs and walking more than 1/2 mile at a time is very painful for me.  I cannot squat down.  It's hard for me to get to the floor and back up again. 

I don't think they would jump into it blindly.  Surely there is someone close that may know more about this procedure and be able to help you.

GOOD LUCK!!

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:45:06 PM »
ACI (cartilage transplant) can only be done if you have focal lesions - basically potholes in the cartilage.  In order to perform the surgery, they need healthy cartilage around the hole, to attach the "patch".  That said, they have been treating larger and larger lesions as time goes by.  Check out carticel.com.  They have extensive information to learn about the procedure.  They also have a site listing doctors who are fully certified and have completed all of their training.  There are doctors out there who have only completed partial training, or who have trained with other surgeons, but have not had all of the training required to be certified by genzyme.  Go see one of the surgeons on their website, then you will know what your options are, and if you are eligible for ACI, you will have a well trained OS.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support