Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ankle pain, should I worry??  (Read 1167 times)

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
ankle pain, should I worry??
« on: June 26, 2005, 03:28:02 PM »
Im sure a lot of you have this problem, but when I walk long distances the ankle on my bad leg gets really sore.  I know its because i hold my leg so stiff so that my knee won;t buckle.  My question is, could this do perment damage to my ankle?  I love to walk outside, and my knee has been tolerating it lately, Id hate to stop but I don;t want to have more problems either, today my ankle actually hurts worse than my knee.  Thanks, Patti 
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: ankle pain, should I worry??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 03:37:03 PM »
Patti !!

Maybe you can ask someone while laying down or sitting help you stretch the foot so it won't be stiff all time. The things which can happen as I have is that the ligaments get to short and that you aren't able to lift your foot enough to walk without limping.
A normal ankle needs to be able to bend  110-120 degrees when walking, mine is 90 degrees. So try get help, and a programme for your ankle done by a phys can also help you maintain your possibility in moving your feet propertly.
Don't worry !! I have help doing stretching once a day.

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Jeatmonkey

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 06:19:02 PM »
Hi Patti,

My right ankle gets sore when walking too.  Most likely  its from my gait being wacky and off centered because of my knees, so my ankles are getting more stress put on them.  My ankle swells up pretty bad if I walk on my treadmill too much and then my foot goes numb and tingly. I havent seen my OS since it started happening, but I did see my Rheumy and she said it def is because of my limping and is similar to carpel tunnel ( I think she called it tarpel tunnel ) and that it will probablly keep happening until I get my knee mechanics straightened out so that I can walk more normally.  She didnt seem to think it would be a long term issue or concern but to start with RICE on the ankle as well.  I'm not sure if this is the same thing as you are experiencing but hope it helps..

Steph :)
*LK and RK-PFS, tilit recurrent subluxations/ dislocations
*OA
*01/04/05-LK Fulkerson TTT, LR
*extreme hypermobility/connective tissue disorder
*Tendonitis-both elbows
*Pulled from PT-restricted to SLR's & treadmill only due to LR- ligament laxity-LK
*Pain*

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 07:23:41 PM »
Hi Patti,

I get ankle pain too. It started about 4 years ago and I was told that it was tendonitis caused by my calf/hamstrings being sooo tight and my feet being flat/pronated and turning outwards. Anyways, after going to PT for 6 months working on stretching the calves and hamstrings, and getting orthotics, it pretty much resolved. Maybe this is similar to you? Good luck!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR