Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Getting nervous  (Read 1588 times)

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Getting nervous
« on: June 26, 2005, 06:30:07 AM »
I am getting nervous about upcomming surgery. I am able to walk and all but my quality of life suffers. My husband and I went for a 15 minute walk and I paid for it the next day.  Two years ago, we would walk for 45 minutes to one hour walking two hyper dogs without a problem. It is scary to be walking and your knee either locks or feels as it is about to give out. Just hoping that the surgery doesn't make things worse.  Guess I am getting those last minute jitters.  I am meeting with the doctor this Monday to go over in more detail exactly what he will do and what to expect during recouperation.  Hopefully the meeting will set my mind at ease. UGH
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline cyst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Getting nervous
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:54:40 AM »
Amy,

I wish you the best!  I as well am going to meet with my surgeon on Monday to simply find out what exactly is wrong with my knee!  I am sitting here discussing with my fiance as to what I can be expecting and such, and the hopes and such of being able to walk before an operation thrills me!  It seems that most people are able to walk prior to their operation, I'm sure if mine was ripped completely in two and required 100% reconstruction I wouldn't be able to walk at all.  This is my uneducated, simply a guess...

However, I wish you the best and I will keep you in my thoughts.  I can say I can some-what relate to you..  sure we all can.. Good luck and keep us posted!  I'm sure you will do better in the end, or hopefully your OS wouldn't recommend the operation!

Good Luck! Best wishes!

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 10:27:57 AM »
Amy,

Hang in there, think it is just pre-surgery gitters.  Heck I have them and I have to wait until the end of the July.....YIKES !!
You have done all that you possibly can - you have done the PT - you have found one of the best doctors anywhere - you have educated yourself on your condition.
Now, ask the doctor your questions and relax as much as you can....WOW, that is so easy to say, but hard to do....
You have to place your trust in your OS and let him do his craft.

Hugs,

Shade
[/b]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 06:46:08 PM by Shade »

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 05:10:53 PM »
Yesterday my knees felt pretty good. This morning, I was walking in my house and when I stepped down on my right leg, I felt my kneecap shift, heard a loud grinding sound, experienced a sharp pain and my knee has been throbing since. Days like today remind me why I need the surgery. I do feel confident in my surgeon, but still, no matter how good the surgeon is, there are no guarentees, especially with realignment surgery. It is going to be a long two weeks to get myself more crazy about the upcomming surgery
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 06:59:33 PM »
Amy,

I know what you mean.  Since I found my surgeon he has me back walking again and I thought that I was building up my quads before surgery, I also try to use the recumbent bike.  Lately though, I have noticed that my walks are getting shorter and shorter in distance - I have to turn round and come home as I am so tired and my right leg (always limps now) sometimes really drags.  Even my neighbors have noticed.....

One of my neighbors says she has to laugh when I go for a walk - I'm like two people (younger one begins the walk/old-lady returns).  We laugh about it!!  She thinks it is great that I at least try... I agree...she can hardly wait to see me with the immobilizer and crutches - she figures I'll be on the trail with it.   :o  Maybe we'll hold off on that for a little while ..I tell her.  Thought I had high expectations.............

You will make it until surgery just as I will and we'll just have to try and help each other until we get there.....

Hope tomorrow is better than today.  ;)

Shade     [/color]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 07:02:03 PM by Shade »

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 09:25:11 PM »
Shade, it is still uncanny that our knees are so so similar and that we are having the same proceedure done.

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 09:43:42 PM »
Amy,

If you changed your name there would be another thing in common.  2/3 of us are called Heather, and 2/3 are having surgery on same day (July 13th) and all of us are having right knee surgery all are having basically the same procedure. 

Don't think that I won't flip out if I get a call bumping me up to the 13th of July.....

Shade[/color]

support