Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Follow Jake’s LOA from start to finish  (Read 53132 times)

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
Re: Follow Jake’s LOA from start to finish
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2010, 03:43:52 AM »
Hi Jake-

Thank you for posting all your rehab notes and tips and updating it with your positive results. I was diagnosed with AF this past Spring and just had an anterior interval release 2.5 weeks ago. My OS and PT are following most of your list, but I did not have a drain after surgery, but I did bleed through a mound of bandages, and I was not given a CPM, my OS had originally said I would have one and then changed his mind just before surgery since my problem has been with extension.

So far I have full extension and have regained most of my flexion. My OS was very pleased with how my patella and patellar tendon and quadriceps tendon were moving. I have my PT to thank for that. In addition to all the quad sets and patella mobilizations I'm doing at home, he has done the deep tissue massage and stretching for one hour sessions 3-4 times a week for for the past two weeks and also right before my OS appointment today. I am not allowed to do any strength training.

I really hope that I am able to get as positive results as you have had. It's such a scary diagnosis.

Kristin
12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline Jakem

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
Hi Janet,

I was wondering how you were doing.  So glad to hear you have your life back and are active and pain free!  This is great news.

Offline Jakem

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Hi Kristin,

It sounds like you are off to a great start.  It is critical that you successfully got full extension in those first 2 weeks.  Now you got to be persistent at keeping it.  keep doing the mobes, prone hangs, quad sets and pushing down on it to keep.  You are off to a great start but definitely not out of the woods by any means.  Good luck!

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
Hi Jake

Ditto what's been said about your postings here. 

I went into hospital on Tuesday for anterior interval release with addition arthrolysis.  I was going to use your protocol as a starting point as it was so comprehensive, but I've already run aground with prolonged bleeding from the lateral portal.  It looks as though I will be in hospital for 5 nights, rather than the original 3, but I have to take each day as it comes at the moment.  Won't be allowed to leave until wound healed, have good ROM and minimal swelling.  The swelling is likely to be the most problematic.  The Cryocuff doesn't feel enough.

Still, not in lots of pain, which is good.  So overall moderately happy.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Minster

« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2010, 02:53:08 AM »
Jake,

Thanks sooo much for taking the time to share your experience and advice! As one who is facing LOA later this month I truly appreciate it!

Min

Offline Jamhour

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »
Hey, I know this post was a while back. But if theres anyone here that knows Jake or how I can message or contact him that will be great appreciated. He seemed to figure it out while me on the other hand 5 surgeries later and my knee has gone completely downhill after a great start  :-\

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
Get to 20 posts and you can send private messages, he might get a notification, but after six years it's unlikely

Why not post your own story thread and see if you get some feedback on your own circumstances
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Jamhour

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
Get to 20 posts and you can send private messages, he might get a notification, but after six years it's unlikely

Why not post your own story thread and see if you get some feedback on your own circumstances

You're right. I'll try to start my own thread when I have some time in front of a computer in the next few days.

Offline Jakem

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2020, 07:45:15 PM »
Hi Folks, just wanted to give an update.  I am doing great.  It has been 15 years now since my LOA surgery and I am 58 now.  I still run 5 miles a day, vary pace from 7:00 to 9:30 per mile.  I still do squats, now every 4 days, use Smith Machine and can push very hard on it.  I also do lying leg curls and calf raises.  I still cannot do leg extensions.  I can stand indefinitely without pain, walk as much as I want without pain.  However, if I run more than 35 mpw, pain starts creeping in so I just stay under 35 mpw.  I have one limitation.  If I sit with my knee bent for longer than 2 hours such as long car ride, movie or whatever, the knee is painful and stiff for 2 minutes but then loosens up and I go from limping badly in the first few seconds to feeling 100% and pain free at 2 minutes.  I can easily live with this minor annoyance.  My ROM is -2 degrees extension to full heel to butt standing flexion.  I never got back to full hyperextension (-5 degrees) like my other leg, but -2 is fine.  Also the full heel to butt flexion takes about 30 seconds to get it there and I have too pull on it pretty hard with my hand but I have basically what I consider full flexion, especially compared to the average person in their late 50s.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:00:58 PM by Jakem »