Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Are torn ACL's always fixed?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Gustave

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Are torn ACL's always fixed?
« on: June 25, 2005, 11:42:15 PM »
I have a torn through ACL.  I have been told that they will probably not bother fixing it.  That rather, you can strengthen around it and wear a brace if you do "strenous" sports. 
Thoughts, experiences with this?  What are the pro's and con's? ???

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Are torn ACL's always fixed?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:03:48 AM »
Torn ACL's don't have to be fixed.  I know several people who have torn theirs and havent gone for the surgery option.  But they have had to give away the strenuous sport.   I went for 5 months after I tore mine and while I could walk ok, I couldnt run, carry a heavy load or put any stress on the knee or it would give out.  To me I needed it fixed as sport plays an important part in my life, and my knee got to the point where I'd be finding myself catching it, and protecting it as it gave out just as I was standing still.  Im now 7 weeks post op, and although it has been a tough 7 weeks I think for me it was worth it.   Generally they consider your age, level of activity etc  when they make the decision about whether to advise for surgery.   It is something that you should discuss with your OS and PT.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 11:36:37 AM »
Gustave, I have a ruptured ACL that won't be repaired because of my age. I agree with Alla who says that walking is fine but carrying heavy anything or twisting in any way results in the knee buckling. That's OK for someone my age (I'm 67) but if you're younger & can have the reconstruction you might be better off.

I have a horse & ride all the time. That sport doesn't seem to bother my knee to any degree but I do make good use of a Townsend brace otherwise & on the recommendation of an OS friend, he suggested the brace be on as much as possible because the more buckling of the knee, the more damage I would do. Knee replacement would then be the outcome & I wouldn't look forward to that.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

shadehawk

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 11:39:48 AM »
Gustave,

Here is an article that discusses this situation, maybe it will be of some help to you.  Check out all the articles with the tabs on the top.....

http://www.aclsolutions.com/surgery_5.php

Good luck with your decisions.

Shade
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 07:38:47 PM by Shade »