Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: General Anesthetic or Local Anesthetic for Surgery?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Dirksknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
General Anesthetic or Local Anesthetic for Surgery?
« on: June 24, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »
    I have a Meniscus tear that I'm considering having arthoscopic surgery on. I've heard differing statements as to how the anesthetic is administered for this procedure. Some people I've talked to have said Local Anesthetic, others General anesthetic. My doctor has mentioned a General anesthetic, but I think the choice is up to me. Any opinions on the preferred method? Does one method versus the other allow quicker healing etc..?
Thanks. -Dirk

shadehawk

Re: General Anesthetic or Local Anesthetic for Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 10:34:29 PM »
Dirk,

Hi, I believe the anesthesiologist has the last word on this.  After all they are the ones responsible for you during the surgery, but you certainly can talk to the anesthesiologist when they come to visit you before surgery.....

Local anesthesia numbs just a small area of tissue where a minor procedure is to be done.
Regional anesthesia affects a larger (but still limited) part of the body. It does not make the person unconscious. Spinal and epidural anesthesia are examples of regional anesthesia.
General anesthesia affects the entire body and makes the person unconscious. The unconscious person is completely unaware of what is going on and does not feel pain from the surgery or procedure. General anesthesia medications can be inhaled or injected into a vein.

Do not think this affects healing, I have not heard that.  I do know that smoking affects post-op medications and healing.  I for example have never been offered anything but general anesthesia where I live - that is our hospital's preferred method.  They can move patients out of the recovery room faster using this method. 

Shade

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 02:11:38 AM »
Dirk,

I agree with shade. It is mostly the anesthesiologist's decision. When I had my surgery, I had regional anesthesia (according to my operative report).....a nerve block and sedation. My anesthesiologist came and talked to me and explained what she would be doing right before my surgery. This method worked really well for me because I didn't have to worry about the side effects from general.

Good luck with your surgery!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 04:44:45 PM »
Hi Dirk,
   For knee surgery I prefer to go with an epidural or a spinal block.  I like to stay awake and watch.  Plus I don't like the groggy feeling after general anesthesia.  Like Erin and Shade said, the anesthesiologist has some say as does the OS.  I had one OS that refused to do arthroscopic surgery with regional anesthesia, I had to have general.  It is quite interesting to watch the surgery and my OS keeps up a running commentary of what he is seeing and what he is doing, so I have some clue!  Good luck with the surgery!

Patty

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 05:47:48 PM »
Hi,

I' ve had them all: General, epidural, and local.  Most surgeries were under general, until I  was diagnosed with asthma then  the docs leaned toward  the  epidural. I hated coming out of that though. Major pins and needles as everything from your waist down starts to wake up again, plus it's hard to tell if you have to pee or not so you may get a catheter.

The local wasn't bad, but it depends on the procedure. I had it for a scope and debridement because my doc wanted to see how my knee moves under my own mechanics as opposed to the doc moving it for me when under.  All I felt was some  pressure and mild discomfort of the scope moving around. I did not feel anything when he was cutting.  Recovery was a snap! 

The longest recoverys  were from general, and the longer you are under the longer it takes to come around.  I was under for 3 hours with my TTT so it took forever for me to come to my senses and I was sick from all the drugs in my system for awhile.

Good luck,

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004

Offline Dirksknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:23:27 AM »
Thanks for  the feedback! -Dirk

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 01:54:39 AM »
i had a general and a spinal for my reco..... I came through it no worries.  Im also asthmatic and was really worried about the effects of the anethetic.... they had me ramped up on an oxygen mask for a while after.... but I was fine. 

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06