Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here and need advice  (Read 571 times)

Offline K-bob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here and need advice
« on: June 24, 2005, 02:10:25 PM »
About 4 years ago I started developing sharp pain in my knee when going up and down stairs.  This didn't seem to be all the time. Over the last few years this has developed to pain all the time on stairs, kneeling or crouching down, sitting on a low chair etc.  I also sometimes have aching in my knee and shin at the end of the day just sitting or laying down and am aware of a feeling of, don't know how to describe, weakness I guess in my left knee.

2 years ago I went to see GP and was diagnosed with 'Chrondomalacia'.  He said it was because I have small knee caps and they move about a lot and that although the problem was confined to my left knee I would probably get it in my right (great you go in with one bad knee and come out with two!)  He sent me for x-rays.  When they came back he didn't really have much to say and just told me to come back 'when it stopped me from doing things what I wanted to do'..... I got the impressions I was just supposed to go away and just get on with life. He didn't really tell me anything about prognosis or any way to make it better.  He did say that he wouldn't recommend I had an arthroscopy unless I really needed to as my knee might 'never be the same again' - is this true?

It certainly isn't getting any better and seems to be more constant than before.  Its not debilitating pain but discomfort is there all the time and sometimes it is sharper pain.   I've seen all the things about grading on this forum so presuambly this is degenerative?  I asked this at a GP appointment last year but didn't really get an answer.  Does it get better or does it only get worse? Should I go for more x-rays again?  Haven't been for 2 years. Also is there some sort of physio I can ask for?

I remember about 4-5 years ago tripping as I got out of a taxi and falling hard on my left knee.  Is this likely to have contributed to me getting this?

Any advice would be gratefully received.  I'm in the UK by the way.

Kate

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: New here and need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 03:37:53 PM »
Kate, welcom to KNEEgeeks, sorry that you needed to find us.

I would ask my GP for a referral to an OS.  GP's are good for many things but knees are not in there area of expertise.  Until you know what's wrong with your knee, you don't know what ban/cannot be done for you.  Until then RICE:  Rest, Ice, Compression, and elevation.  When it is sore RICE can help.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

H U G s !  !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

support