Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I had a fall while playing softball - 55 years old - see message  (Read 548 times)

Offline asthedeer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
While running to first base I had a fall on my left knee.  it was in a bent position upon impact and I slid for a ways.  I had a lot of swelling & bruising (1 week ago).  I have been playing the "wait & see" game because I am 30 days away from insurance coverage with a new job.  I can walk.  Stairs are hard with bending.  The swelling is going down but I have a lot of kneecap tenderness & dull pain.  The bruising extended across my kneecap, down the outer aspect of my leg & behind my knee with minor bruising going down the front and the inner leg.

My question:  What mechanism of injury usually occurs with this type of trauma.  Am I safe to wait awhile?  What is the "worst case scenario"  Thanks for any help. :-\

shadehawk

Re: I had a fall while playing softball - 55 years old - see message
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 03:47:45 PM »
Asthedeer,

Hi, sorry about the bad fall that you took.  WOW, don't know if you are going to be able to wait a month until you have coverage.  Have you not even gone to your GP to be checked??  You should at least do that - if you need an appointment with an OS it is going to be a bit of a wait anyway. 

Have you been elevating and icing to try and get rid of the swelling.  Put your legs up on footstools as much as possible, that will take pressure off the knee.  You can also take Nsaid's like motrin to help with the pain and swelling. 

Hope that you can get some help soon.

Shade [/color]

support