Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: crazy situation..limted help  (Read 593 times)

Offline txsrooster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
crazy situation..limted help
« on: June 23, 2005, 07:43:49 PM »
I had both my knees scoped in late 2003.  Had scar tissue removed, and lateral releases done on both.  The doc told me I was at high risk for DJD.  Wasn't sure what that was, so I did what any good patient would do, waited until I got home and googled it.  Wasn't thrilled with what I found out, but went on with my life.  The Coast Guard doctors gave me a clean bill of health to get me off acitve duty again. Was a recalled reservist at the time.  Then I got activated again and sent to Kuwait/Iraq.  My knees didn't really bother me that much, since I always took great care of them while over here, rest and low impact exercises.  The problem came last week while running from helo to helo with about 150 lbs of gear plus flack vest and helmet.  They started to swell and stiffen then the next day I stepped wrong and felt a really weird feeling and the outside rear of my knee, felt like something tore but there was no pain.  I went to sit down and that is where I figured out that there might be something wrong.  The pain brought tears to my eyes for the brief time it was there.  Once I was sitting the pain went away.  I rested for about 4 hours with my leg up and it felt better..that is until I went to stand and there was that pain again.  This went on for about 2 days before I could sit and stand without the tear jerking pain.  I can still feel it, and after alot of walking I really feel it. 
I finally got to the doctors today, they spent about 2 mins pushing and pulling, then asked if I had prior knee problems, I told them about the surgeries and what the doc said, they conferred with each other for about a min then told me I had OA and gave me some anti-inflams.  No x-rays nothing but pulling and pushing.  I still have the pain of course it has only been aday.  My question is...was this a best guess to get me out of the room so they could have thier coffee or an educated guess.  I do plan on following up with the docs at my unit when I return home in July. so this is more for my own peace of mind for the next 2 weeks.
Thanks. Is there spell check on here somewhere..afraid i need it.

Offline goose

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • Jennifer Linforth, Author
Re: crazy situation..limted help
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »
I'd get the second opinon when you can. It's hard to diagonse a tear  with out an MRI ..  It wouldn't surprise me if you  did so something to it adding all that extra weight onto your body with the  gear, vest and helmet. Not to mention sand...sand is murder on knees...at least it was for mine!

The anti-inflams will help, but if your knees are going through that much pounding, get them  re-checked!

Good luck, and thanks for what you are doing over there,

Goose
RK-LR 1988
RK-LR 1999, chondromalacia, torn cartlidge removed, debridement
LK-LR 2002, chondromalacia
LK 11/2004 diagonstic scope, lesion removed, debridement
LK-TTT 12/8/2004