Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Glucosamine  (Read 1500 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Glucosamine
« on: June 23, 2005, 05:58:39 PM »
Me and mY mom picked up some glucosamine supplements for me to take today. Few questions,

-What is everyoen elses expirences with it?
-Any side effects?
_did it help reduce your pain?
-If you take one or two a day,how long do they stay effective for?

Funny but yet a sad story:
When we were going to pay for them at the cash, there was a younger guy there and he goes "oh these work really well for my great-grandma" then turns to me and says "im sure your grandma or grandpa will love them too" I was just like umm thanks :-[ :-[ and then ran outta there! Man was I embarassed..they are for me lol not someone 5 times my age :P ohh boy sometimes you just gotta laugh..

krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Glucosamine
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 06:16:21 PM »
Krista,

I have taken Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements before. I guess they helped with pain a little, but not much of a difference. They do take several weeks to build up in your system before you will be able to tell any difference. They only time I really noticed a difference was when I stopped taking them. I have talked to several different OSes about taking it and they all said that it was up to me and that some patients have great improvement, while others have none, and some only notice when they stop taking it.

Good luck!!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 06:46:30 PM »
Krista -

I take them 2x daily, at my doctor's advice.  I have never noticed any improvement in pain, but I tell myself that they slow down the continued deterioration of my cartilage.  Some tablets have MSM in them, but only in very small amounts.  MSM, at 1000mg or mroe, 2x daily, is known to have anti-inflammatory effects.  I take that too, and again, don't notice a difference, but tell myself it's helping.  Slower damage is better than faster damage, right?

And don't let people make you crazy about the age thing.  Such is life.  At least you live at a time when the internet allows you to "meet" people your own age, going through similar problems.  Ir's nice to remember that you're not alone.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 08:55:26 PM »
Hi Krista,
   Like Jess, i take them twice a day as per my OS's advice.  I have been taking them for 5 years and haven't noticed any difference, but maybe they are slowing things down in there.  I have also started taking an MSM supplement recently, you may want to check into that.  One thing I want to mention is that supplements like these are not regulated.  What is in the pill may not be what is listed on the label, as far as mg of glucosamine,etc.  My OS recommended always buying a name brand product rather than an off brand.  A large well-known company is probably not going to risk their reputation by not using what is listed on the label.  It costs a few dollars more, but is probably worth it.

Patty

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:30:28 AM »
Patty hit on the heart of the glucosamine thing...all glucosamines are not the same or of equal value. Somewhere there's a website that compares various brands so you can buy with some confidence knowing you're getting a product that's all it's supposed to be.

I've been taking joint supplements for years (I'm probably older than anyone here) but because I have dogs that injure themselves due to their athleticism, I've been "into" joint supplements right along with the animals.

My understanding is that no one joint supplement works for everybody. Some people do better on one than on another. So far I've been thru shark cartilage, glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM & am now doing hyaluronic acid/MSM.

Do these supplements really work? I don't know. I do know I don't move quite so freely if I quit. I'm 67, walk 4 dogs at a time, ride my fresh thorobred horse & this w/o an ACL & with a torn meniscus. I figure I must be doing something right.

Bottom line...I don't think joint supplements can hurt...Ellie in CT
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 09:42:32 AM »
I take 1600mg a day of Glucosamine Sulphate along with 400mg Chondroitin and MSM.  I have been taking it religiously since Febuary 2004 ::).
Last month my OS advised me to stop taking it for a while, just to see if I notice any pain increase.  Although I havent noticed any improvement since taking it, Im really hesitating to stop taking it as I am worried that the pain will increase :-\ Im already popping enough pain pills and really dont want any more pain right now!!!.
Maybe Ill be brave in a few more weeks  and give it a break for a week or two ???

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline gaily

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 06:22:29 AM »
I am posting here mostly because I got a good giggle out of your experience with the "will be good for your grandma" comment. 

I am a recent member of the tibia plateau fracture club.  My OS recommended taking glucosamine.  He's young and I suppose I assume younger doc's are more modern and progressive and so his advice is the same?  I'm folllowing his orders.  He said that it may help to assist in the recovery or affect of the damage to my articular cartilage.  From reading these posts ...I am going to make sure I do some research on brands and quality now instead of buying the most economically priced.

I can say this...I have a friend who gives it to his older horse...and it helped the horse apparently. 

Good luck to you and ..uh...your grandama...

Gail

doodlebugrr

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 07:13:34 PM »
Hey Krista!

I was on glucosamine or to be more specific "Double Strength Cosamin DS."  ;) My OS told me to get that kind because he said it is the only one he trusts & it is the best kind yada yada yada!  ::)  :P  lol...& they sell it @ hiz office & it wuz like $100 :o ...but I took that & was told to stop taking it cuz it wuznt doing anything for my pain..Even tho he said it would do somethin for my cartilage, like slow down the damage  ???
Then when I saw the rheumatologist she was like "Well of course it isnt working!! That is a medicine used for ppl with osteo-arthritis & is ONLY for old people!" & she told me my OS should not have given it to me in the 1st place!  :o  ???  I wuz like "Dang lady!" haha its funny every doctor I see alwayz says something bad about the other one & contradicts them too!  :-X  ::)  :-X anywayz..... yeah....I actually had no side effects with that med.  My dog took glucosamine & it helped him!!  ;)  ;D  :P ::)
take care gurl!!
~bekah~

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 03:09:37 PM »
Ok thanks guys, the kind we bought is called webber naturals...anyoine else ever tried this one? LIke most of you..I dont notice a difference but I suppose it can't hurt it anymore lol so im gonna keep taking it.
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

support