Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture/drilling  (Read 926 times)

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Microfracture/drilling
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:04:49 PM »
I'm just recovering from microfracture (1 week post-op) on medial femoral condyle, and am getting conflicting comments from physio and consultant regarding weight bearing.  I have been told that I should be PWB (toe-touching only) for at least 2 weeks.  My physio says I can come off crutches after 2 weeks, my consultant says 3-4 weeks.  However, I have had microfracture in the past and have had to stay NWB for minimum 6 weeks - although that was 6 and 7 years ago so things may have changed.  The defect drilled was 20mm. 

I've also started worrying about whether this will be successful as it is the third attempt at microfracture in the same place (however, previous defect was just 7mm). 

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Ellie
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Microfracture/drilling
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 03:15:45 PM »
Ellie -

You  may want to post in the bone marrow stimulation section (under the arthritis topics).

But, as I'm 7 months post-op, I'll respond with my experience.  Dr. Steadman pioneered this technique, and his rehab protocol calls for 6 weeks NWB.  A lot of people on this board swear by him, and question their doctors if they don't follow his protocol.  HOWEVER, lots of doctors had experience with abrasion arthroplasty (the predecessor to microfracture) before they started performing microfracture, and alsohave a wealth of knowledge.  Some doctors will keep you NWB for weeks, some for days.  My doctor told me to WB as I was able.  I had over 21 square CENTIMETERS drilled, and was off crutches completely in about 5 days.  If you are debating the advice of an orthopedic surgeon who you trusted enough to perform your surgery, and a physical therapist, I would go with the OS.  The physio may treat patients from several doctors, and see a variety of protocols, and may be trying to offer you a "compromise" between the 2 weeks and 6 weeks.  Your doctor examined your knee, knows your history, saw the inside, treated it, and would like to stop seeing you after your post-ops are complete because you are then hopefully pain-free.  There's a reason he/she spent so many additional years in school, doing fellowships, etc.

That said, I'm surprised you're having microfracture again in the same spot.  Your lesion is quite small, which leaves you several additional options.  If this attempt fails (or the next time it wears out) you are probably a very good candidate for OATS (see the cartilage plug transfer section, or the info section on the main board).

Good luck - I hope this provides lasting relief.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »
Ellie,

If there are conflicts why not call your OS office and speak to the surgeon regarding his/her protocol...or get the PT to call the OS..

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_microfracture/recov.asp

Hope this helps you,

Shade
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 03:18:46 PM by Shade »

Offline Ellie2006

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 03:02:19 PM »
Jess and Shade

Many thanks for your comments - really helpful. 

Have a great weekend.   :)

Ellie
Problems with my right knee since 1981. 9 ops including lateral menisectomy, various scopes, microfractures and OATs for OCD and TKR in Feb 2006 and now having trouble with CRPS - I'm way too impatient, want my new knee to work now!  I have a fabulous left knee though!

support