Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: going crazy after knee surgery  (Read 1011 times)

Offline keljims99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
going crazy after knee surgery
« on: June 22, 2005, 09:17:05 PM »
HELP!!! :P My knee was surgically fixed after a torn quadriceps and my patella was "stitched" back together as part of it tore off with the muscle. I am going crazy because my doctor keeps telling me different things. I think I should be doing weight-bearing to help maintain as much muscle as possible, and to help prevent further wasting of the bone tissue. What is your take on this? Oh, a little history...the knee injury happened because of weakness from a ACL graft surgery. This knee has been reconstructed 2x, scoped 3x, then this! I want to do the best I can, but I get mixed and confusing messages from my Dr.
Thanks! Kelley

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: going crazy after knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 07:33:41 AM »
Call your doc and be straight to him/her saying what should I do or not.
It's the only thing you can do to be sure you do the right things.
Wish you good luck !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 02:03:42 PM »
Kelly, I agree wit Nettan.† Talk to your OS and talk about your concerns and ask for specifics on do's and doníts.† Then make sure you read back what you understood him to say.† I make sure I do that because I did what he said, and I did read it back to him, but he wrote down something slightly different in his notes?

Take† Care!† †Sending† †H U G s !† !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85†
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR† Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline pxs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
i had similar surgery, and recall my instructions were to weight bear as tolerated but to be sure the brace was locked straight when walking.  i think i used crutches for the first week.  I think i was allowed more flexion in the brace when walking after a few weeks, and then after 6 weeks they started weaning me off the brace, which took a couple weeks.

Offline keljims99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 03:14:18 PM »
Thanks so much for your responses...the problem is that my OS changes his instructions all the time. He is getting older, and I think he gets confused.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 03:31:29 PM »
Well maybe you should get your papers so you can read and say to him after every appointment what he said last time. I have also had docs like this and one I had was a neurodoc, even worse. Hope you can get a good answer next time.

Hugs nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.