Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can Chondromalacia recover by exercising not surgery? please kindly tell me  (Read 6020 times)

Offline soi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello from Thailand.

As of my country lack of the information about chondromalacia which I was diagnosised to be such a disease so I  would like to get your kindly advice about it.

I am 31 years old. I have been knee pain in both legs since November last year by no accident.My symtoms are having pain around kneecap, having noise in my knees<grinding or clicking> and feeling a dull ache after sitting for any length of time.

I have just taken an arthroscope operation for my left leg. The doctor even the rough area in my kneecap. It passed for two months but I am still pain. I am scared and do not want to take the operation for my other leg. Besides the doctor said although I had take the operation, it does not mean that the symtoms will not occur again. The operation fee here is very expensive. I think I can not afford if I have to take the operation many times.

Could you kindly give me an advice that how can I recover without the surgery?  My doctor siad the wound in patella once it occured it will get worse and worse. And the patella can not rebuild by itself.

Now I take Viartril-S <Glucosamine sulphate> one sachets a day, an other pain killers, calcium and Vitamin D.
I do exercise each 150 times per day of Quadriceps contractions and straight leg raises. I do not do it in one time. I separate it for 3 times <50 each:Morning, Afternoon. Evening>

Thank you very much for any of advice
Soi

Offline soi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Sorry for one more question. Can I do driving?

Offline anita672

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
You didn't mention how the grinding/pain happened.  Did it happened over time  by overuse in a particular sport you have been doing?

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Chondromalacia can not "heal" on it's own.  It means that the articular cartilage in your knee has softened.  The surgery you had smoothed the rough surfaces.  It is intended to reduce pain, and also to slow down more damage.  (think about a loose string on a shirt.  if you pull it, it keeps coming out.  if you cut it, the rest of the string stays where it's supposed to)

Exercise can help, but first you need to know where the damage is, and what exercises to do.  Strong muscles mean the knee takes less stress.  If the damage is on the patella, activities with lots of bending may hurt more.  Like riding a bike.  You may find that water activities are better for you. 

If the damage goes all the way down to the bone there are other surgeries that can actually replace the missing cartilage.  The patella is a tricky area, and I'm not sure which procedures work on the patella. 

I'm sorry you've been having pain, and hope things improve for you.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
The pain from chondromalacia can resolve with PT. How long it will take, and IF it will work, depends on each individual case. I ended up having an LR on each knee because I had tipped kneecaps, so the pain just wouldn't resolve with PT in my case because my kneecaps were rubbing the cartilage and damaging it more and more. The surgeries got rid of the constant pain problems, and I've lived with the chondromalacia (which doesn't go away) for well over 12 years and felt only the occasional twinge of pain (in my worse knee). It was very much something I could live with and just about never think about. I was just careful not to overstress the knee joints (until recently, that is  ::) ) and I made sure I got enough exercise for my quad muscles (taking daily walks helped).

So, yes, DEFINITELY give PT a good, long try first. Surgery should always be a last resort. Good luck!

Offline soi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thank you everyone for your kind replies. :)

I would like to add some information about my symtoms. I was diagnosed for being Chondromalacia last 6 months. My doctor said that this disease's cause is mysterious. In my case, I do surely that I did not overuse my knee like injury from sport and never had an accident. My condromalacia occured by itself.  Anyway maybe I was lack of exercise. I sat almost 6.5 hours of working time. (I am 162 cm. tall and 52 kg. weight) and after back for home, I watched TV or read books.

Yesterday I found some article that mentioned about the dietary supplement which is belived that can rebuild cartilage. It is Glucosamine and Chondroitin and MSM. I found one brand called " Bio Synergy Glucosamine Chondroition MSM". Do you think it is worth for me to take this supplement? If it's good, I will order via internet.

And can anyone who used to suffer from Chondromalacia tell me that "Can I drive a car and Can I go up and down the stairs as my room is located at the 2 nd floor?" Anyway I use stairs only necessary case.

Thank you vey much for any kind opinion :D
Soi

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Yes, you can drive (because you have to, right? ;) ). And avoiding stairs as much as possible is advisable. Obviously if you live on the second floor, you will have to do *some* stairs -- just don't use stairs when you don't need to.

A good physical therapist can help you determine what needs to be done to try to help your particular situation. You don't have to do something specific to feel irritated cartilage. It could've been getting irritated for years before it gets to the point where you can feel it. And you don't have to get it from anything specific (running, sports, etc.). According to my OS, if you have a tracking problem or tipped kneecaps, the pain could start out of the blue while walking down the stairs one day. It doesn't take much sometimes!