Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Courgettes. How do you cook your's ?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Mushroom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Courgettes. How do you cook your's ?
« on: June 20, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »
Did you know that the word courgette has its origin in the 1930s. I like my courgettes cooked French style. Don't peel, slice into half inch slices, and then place in salted boiling water for about three minutes. Drain, finish the cooking process by adding butter and black pepper into a pot and then fry the courgettes for thirty seconds. Ideally the peel of the courgette must still be firm but not hard, its flesh soft but not mushy. The
flavour of the juice together with the butter and black pepper is yum yum to yummy yum yum.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Courgettes. How do you cook your's ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:02:37 PM »
OK, I have to ask.  What in the heck is a courgette?!  And is it legal?  :)

Patty

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 04:49:43 PM »
Patty

Yes, it's legal  - LOL  :P

I think they're also known as "zucchini"

green veg a bit like a cucumber :)

Hugs Beth x
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:21:31 PM »
Thanks Beth!  I prefer to  eat my "zucchini" dipped in an egg wash, then dipped in Keeblers buttery crackers and then fried in butter!!   :)  However in order to maintain my healthy diet I usually eat them raw in salads or grilled! 

Patty

Offline Mushroom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 02:35:43 PM »
Courgettes are a variety of marrow, the latter has just arrived in the shops here in England. Do you cook cucumber ? If so its a dish that may have a Chinese origin.

Offline JenSinclair

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Canis meus id comedit.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 06:43:33 PM »
I quite like courgettes done on the grill (as in charcoal...rather than the above-the-cooker grill in the UK).  If they're smallish, I slice them length-wise and marinate them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, and spices.  Then I throw them over the fire for a few minutes.  Asparagus is brilliant that way as well.

Another translation: aubergines = eggplant.  Which is also fabulous grilled.

As far as cucumber...I never cook them.  I do dice them up and put them in gazpacho...and shave them with a vegetable peeler to make raita.  Boy, would that be good right now.  I'm SO tired (already!) of eating stuff I didn't get to cook.  I LOVE to cook, so this whole being at the mercy of friends and family for daily sustenance is really miserable.

Peace,
Jen
LR/TTT 3 August 2006, RK
LR/TTT 16 June 2005, LK
CPMs are evil.

Offline Mushroom

• Regular Poster
Chicken tastes horrible
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:25:33 AM »
Heading back to work and coming into the mainstream of every day life is difficult. I do enjoy fresh food and having plenty of time to cook it. Having been out of work for months on end, cooking was the best part of my day. But now living in a rat-race I eat food as sustenance eg cheap crap like chicken and french fries for 1.25p. The chicken tastes horrible, what do they do with the chicken's carcass, soak it in disinfectant ? Most people have forgotten what real chicken tastes like. But if you do eat free range chicken you may not like the flavour.

support