Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hi I'm New but...  (Read 834 times)

Offline peter.callaghan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi I'm New but...
« on: June 19, 2005, 05:56:15 AM »
Hi I have just found this site..
My son was diagnosed with hyperextensile finger and wrist joints when he was seven, he is now 9 yrs . We were told
by the orthopod. that he would probably get better when he reaches his teens. but he is getting worse. He has poblems with writing his writing is roughly year 1 he is in the middle of year 4. We have now got permission for him to use a computer in class for writing, which he is quite able, having learned to type at home. But has problems with speed during exams he has very poor fine motor skills cannot colour in the little boxes in exam papers or open cola cans or new screwtop bottles especially if they are tight as he gets pain between his thumb  and finger joints. Now he is starting to do tricks with his elbows and shoulders putting himself in strange positions when trying to do push ups....... He complained recently with some backpain after playing on the trampoline but this went away should we be doing something about his condition I don't know who to speak to we live in Sydney Australia
Help concerned parents ??? ???

Offline JBL

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIFE RULES - STAY COOL
Re: Hi I'm New but...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 06:36:17 AM »
Hi,

Have u seeked a 2nd OS's opinion they may have more ideas.

Hugs
JBL
20/10/04  BILATERAL SCOPES
08/07/05  RPKR
09/12/05    LTKR

Offline bubbly_aqua_babe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:44:22 AM »
When you talk about hyper extended fingers do you mean double jointed fingers? Im from sydney also and when i was in year 4 and 5 i underwent occupational Therapy on my fingers because i had terrible handwriting and was getting pain up my right arm. I was put into a writing splint and was weened onto finger grips. My writing is much better now i am 17yr and in year 12 but i would probobly get an assessment of his finemotor skills so that the fnger problem can also resolve itself.

Good Luck with it all
Jess

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:23:19 PM »
Peter,

I am also hypermobile but my problems are mostly my knees, fingers and ankles, some kids are lucky and grow out of this condition as the muscles can become tighter the older we get but sometimes not (like me!).  There is a section on hypermobility (Joint Hypermobility) further down on the main kneeguru page, have a look down there and see if you can find any further information that might help.  Good luck.

Natalie.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 01:29:39 PM by Natalie.D »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA