Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: what makes your knee guve out?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
what makes your knee guve out?
« on: June 18, 2005, 07:37:55 PM »
Ive heard so many diffrent explanations...ACL/PFS/weak quads...but I have NO idea which applys to me. I know its not weak quads because mine are quite strong and PT said my quads arent whats causing it. So...has anyone else had their knee give out with maltracking/PFS? Its SO painful!!!thanks guys,
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: what makes your knee guve out?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 08:04:55 PM »
Hi,
My knee buckles because of trochlear dysplasia. The lateral aspect of my femoral groove is basically flat. So, each time I bend my knee anywhere beyond 85 degrees - BOOM...down I go!! Before my TTT procedure last year, I wasn't able to bend my knee past 40 degrees, so 85 degrees is a definite improvement. How often does yours give out?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:02:03 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »
Hi,

Mine both slip all the time, but that is due to the weak, stretched/torn MCL and stetched LCL as far as we know.  I also have a small patella and shallow trochlear groove.  Do not know if this is buckling or slipping, but it happens to me many times every day...

You just have to keep a journal - write down exactly where you hurt, keep track of swelling etc and then when you go to the doctor you can pinpoint things that might help an OS make an accurate assessment.

It doesn't always seem to work regarding these testing methods.  I usually am so tense that they can't pinpoint my sore spots cause my muscles are so tensed up.  Different story with my PT, but maybe because I know and trust her...

I make a clock diagram 12 being the bottom of patella - 6 being top of patella etc, etc, and mark the pain spots.  Think this helps....

Good luck,

Shade
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 12:13:12 PM by Shade »

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 10:40:58 PM »
My PT says mine gives out when the kneecap isn;t in the right spot and therefore the joint can;t work the way its supposed to and it gives out.  My knee is aligned correctly, but maltracks, so when its bent and tracking out to the side that when it gives out.  My PT said strong quads will help, but can;t totally correct the problem. ~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 01:20:32 AM »
My knee gives out due to the missing cartilage on the lateral femoral chondyle. When I am walking and I hit the open spot boom down I go. My kids find it quite funny!!

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 01:29:37 PM »
ok, thans guys that answers alot of my questions. and liz, well it happens about once or twice a week...usually mior though and i dont end u ont he ground, about once a month though it'll go all out and I'll be kissing the floor and bawling in pain. Not sure why sometimes it hurts so bad and other times not at all. Does any of your guys' knees feel loose and wobbly...thats a feeling ive been contending with lately. not too pleasent. thanks again!
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 02:16:08 PM »
my knee feels very loose and wobbly, to compensate I push it back when I stand and walk, which has resulted in hyperextension and stretched out ligaments.  My PTs said a brace would help, but I hate my brace!
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 04:41:37 PM »
My knee cap tracks way to the side- is hanging on the edge of the trochlear.  It is also tilted. I have minimial cartlidge left.  Thats what makes it give out.
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline anita672

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 01:33:53 PM »
I did have episodes of instability on my left knee.  At times if feels like 'sinking', as if there is a lack of bone underneath to hold it firm.  I get stiffness (tightness and 'pins and needles' around my knee coming and going.  When I stand during the time where I felt there is firm support, the stiffness will go away immediately, then when I walk again after a while, the stiffness again comes back and starts to hurt as if I am pressing against the wrong bone!  Coming and going...

Have anyone felt same?

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
Mine used to give out all the time (couple times a week usually) due to trochlear dysplasia, small kneecaps and hypermobility, after having both my TTTs my kneecaps have never dislocated or subluxed and stay right on track for a full bend and extension.  ;D

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 11:12:05 AM »
Hello

What makes my knee give way is when I forget to wear my knee brace. My joint clicks and I feel the knee joint give way, normally if I exert too hard at sports  my knee slips out without warning! I have to wear the brace whenever I go out or do something that's strenous on the legs......Plus been a  extremly late walker makes it worse, delayed muscle development, makes me more prone to injuries that wouldn't occur on others.

Just tensing a muscle or muscle can tear up my knee joint, so I found out the hard way! Now I am stuck with two stuffed legs, as I wear a knee brace on left and leg splint [AFO] Ankle foot othotic for the unstable ankle! But there's people who got worse I am just thankful that my excerise programe prevented my injuries from crippling me! As I often told myself this  saying depsite having two buggered up joints "You either move them, or lose em...."

Like the professional sports people, they bust up their joints all the time and they are able to move very well despite the injuries they sustain. They have treament, phyiso and rehab.....plus they able to keep going in their sports despite the amount of injuries they sustain! One's gotta admire them for that!

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 11:30:04 AM »
My right knee gives out  because I have no ACL. The brace has about prevented that from happening...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »
Hey Natalie,

I'm still so blown away by your success. So cool!  ;D Puts such a smile on my face knowing somone is beating this dysplasia mess...
Have I been reading that you've been experiencing more pain lately? I hope you doc has some solutions and that you'll be able to overcome the painful situations. What's been happening? 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 11:00:14 PM by My Sister Sam »
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 06:08:13 AM »
Hey there

My knee will give out sometimes because of all the many troubles I've had with my MCL

Lesley
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 03:59:46 PM »
My knee gives out on average 3 times a day, more if I overdo it. I and my OS have no idea why. I rarely hit the ground but I do stumble and catch myself with my "good" leg (which is going bad quickly lol)

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis