Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: introduction: mother of 13 yo with fractured patella  (Read 825 times)

Offline Lisa Marie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
introduction: mother of 13 yo with fractured patella
« on: June 18, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
Wow! This site is amazing. Just an introduction about why I'm here...

Our son, age 13, fractured his right patella three months ago while figure skating. The kneecap broke into two clean pieces horizontally, and he didn't need surgery because the displacement was very small. He was in a cast for 6 weeks, then a Bledsoe brace for about 6 more weeks. He's been doing PT since the removal of the cast (he had dislocated the other kneecap last summer, so already had a PT we like).

He now has full range of motion, walks with a bit of a limp, doesn't feel comfortable running yet, and the knee is still swollen and “clicks” sometimes. The muscles in his right leg are still noticeably smaller than in his left, so that's the next goal with PT.

Yesterday his dr. ordered an MRI because of the swelling (immediately after the break he had a CT scan, but no MRI) to rule out bone chips or cartilage fragments, which would need to be scoped. Our son freaked out a bit about this, in part because of the word “surgery” and in part because he thought everything was going so well, but from what I've read on these boards, swelling after three months is not at all uncommon, so I hope the MRI gives him good news. And if not, at least we really like our OS and feel comfortable with his recommendations.

I know that our son is frustrated that his recovery is slower than he expected. After the dislocation last summer, he faithfully did all his PT without needing reminders and worked like crazy to get back to skating within three months. He had just regained all his strength and skills when he fell on a camel spin in March and suffered this fracture, just three days before he would have competed for the first time since recovering from the dislocation.

The hardest thing for me is watching him go through the realization that--while he will be able to find other sports--a return to competitive figure skating will not be a wise choice. He had learned all his double jumps and would have been preparing for triples this summer, and he’d been skating five to six days a week for the past three years. He exuded so much joy on the ice. Selfishly, I’m very sad that I probably won’t be able to see that again.  :'( He doesn’t complain, however, and he has a lot of other interests. Interestingly, this "down time" has allowed him to explore passions that had taken a back seat to skating for a long time, and we are all reconnecting with a slower pace of life.

Anyway, thanks to the board creator(s) for giving us a place to vent and converse.  :)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: introduction: mother of 13 yo with fractured patella
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 05:16:57 PM »
hi there :)

first off welcome to the board.  this place is amazing and has helped sooooo many people!  i dont really have any suggestions because i havent had a patella fracture.  however i have had some dislocations which hopefully are fixed now after three surgeries!  i'm sorry to hear that your son's skating future isnt looking that great.  but i'm very glad to hear that he has discovered some new interests which always helps.  good luck with the MRI.  just rememeber, they are nutorious for being incorrect or hiding things that arent there. 

anyways, i just wanted to welcome you to the board and to wish your son and your family the best of luck with everything! 

Hugs,
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

support