Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Orthotics for PFS  (Read 1359 times)

Offline daisey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Orthotics for PFS
« on: August 22, 2002, 02:31:53 AM »
Has any one had luck using orthotics for PFS and maltracking?  Today at PT they suggested I try orthotics due to having excessive pronation.  My PT feels that I could benefit from these.  I have not read many post where orthotics were mentioned.  I know they can be quite expensive, and before I spend that amount of money I was wondering if they had helped any of you?  Any input positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.

Daisey

May 2002 - R knee plicae excision and chondroplasty of patella and femur  (Grade # chondromalacia)  August 2002 -  started second round of PT for L & R knee.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 12:42:15 AM by admin »
05-2002 Chondroplasty and plicae excision Rt knee
07-2002/11-2002 multiple rounds of physio
11-2002 Open MPFL reconstruction
11-2002/05-2003 Physio
07-2003 Cortisione injection due to return of pain
2005-2007 Cortisone injections bilateral knees
2007 LR LT knee
5/6/2010 TKR scheduled LT Knee

Offline snowcat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Has anyone had luck with orthotics for PFS?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 04:59:14 AM »
Well, I'm not sure yet...I'm getting my orthotics next week.  But my advice is to try EVERYTHING possible before you have surgery!  The orthotics may sound expensive, but they're cheaper than surgery and you don't have to worry about complications (as long as you break in the orthotics properly and, in the worse case scenario, quit using them if they somehow make things worse).

Have you ever had your feet taped (Low-Dye taping method)?  Taping helps me tremendously, and that's an indication that the orthotics will help too.  You can also start with cheap over-the-counter orthotics (my doc recommended Spenco brand).  Those didn't work for me--made my feet hurt.  So I went to a gait-analysis place and they're making custom ones for me.  When the gait analyst showed me the videotape of my gait and explained everything, it was so obvious why I'm in so much pain!!  I'll let you know how I do once I break in the orthotics!
5/00: partial lateral menisectomy (R)
7/01: LR, partial lateral menisectomy, cyst draining (R), followed by ongoing problems with illiotibial band syndrome & adhesions
6/04: Much better!