Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Intractable knee pain  (Read 3577 times)

Offline OBXann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Intractable knee pain
« on: August 19, 2002, 02:54:13 AM »
Ok, I will try to make a long story as short as possible. I have been dealing with knee pain for many years now (3). It started on it's own and quickly became a serious problem. I initially went the PT route, along with anti-inflams, etc. No improvement. Since then I have been through a few scopes and an open surgery (lateral release and medial reefing, mainly. I also had some "ugly" plica, to quote the OS). I have agreed to a few "desperation" cortisone shots ( I am not in favor of them in general but will agree to almost anything on a bad day) and I went through a series of Synvisc, which gave me some temporary relief and a chance to rebuild alot of my lost quad strength. Unfortunately, I lost alot of the progress I had made as the injections wore off. In all, it has been a long, painful path. I take pain meds 24/7 as well. I am now experiencing some of the most painful bouts of knee pain I have ever had. A few days ago it got so bad I just cried and cried for hours. Nothing helps when it gets out of control like that. Sitting with my knee bent hurts, as does standing with weight on it. Laying on my back hurts when the kneecap sinks into the joint, laying on my stomach, it touches the bed and hurts...you know the deal. I also use ice. It has gotten to the point where doubling my pain meds on the bad days seems to have no impact on the pain, it is just completely out of control. I have completely restricted my life to the necessary things, which is hard to do as a mom. During that last bout, I would stay in bed until noon to give my knee a rest and then only have one real outing a day, whether it be food shopping, whatever. I do try to get to the gym and do a lightweight workout on my good days. I am using a program set by my PTists and I immediately cut anything that seems to cause any pain.
All of that said, I do have good days where the pain is very manageable(with my meds) and as long as I don't do too much, I can get through the day. I never know what will set off a bad day or when I will be blessed with a good one. My family suffers because of this too. I hope a new MRI will show something, anything that can help, but it seems to be the same problems as before the LR, etc....when the OS was confident it was a maltracking patella. What do any of you in similar positions think of my problem, what treatments can you recommend based on your experiences? Any input is appreciated. I just cannot continue to live in pain like this, I have already suffered through 3 years.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 12:39:47 AM by admin »

Offline Tania

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: 3 years of knee pain, advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2002, 05:16:31 AM »
Sorry to hear of your pain problems. I had a fall over 2 years ago. Have had LR Op patella shaving and plica removal, with no sucess. Haven't ridden my horse for over 2 years as well.   Still can't do normal activities.
 Hope you get help soon.  Tania from Australia

Offline OBXann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 06:05:14 AM »
Tania,
  I was just wondering, does your pain also have better and worse days? I have had this from day one with my knee troubles and it drives me up the wall that some days I can tolerate the pain with the meds and taking it easy and other days I can stay in bed for 3 days straight, double my meds, ice constantly and yet I remain in agony. It is enough to drive me insane. And on the good days there is still that tiny little part of me that secretly hopes maybe I am better. That hope gets smaller every passing month  :(
 With it being summer my "workload" (stay at home mom) is alot less too, so I know come Sept with the beginning of school and all of the kids sports and things, my pain always worsens. At least in the summer I can sleep in late and entertain the kids by putting them in the swimming pool.
  I can imagine riding horses must be extremely painful for a bad knee. I have not rode in a long time and never regularly. What are you doing for your pain  and what are you considering for the future? What type of treatment does your OS recommend?
 Best of luck to you. It helps that everyone on here knows what we are going through at least.

Offline wendy

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 04:18:57 AM »
I am so sorry to hear of your pain problems. I have been dealing with severe pain for about 10 years now. I began knee problems when I was about 13, but didn't have problems causing surgery until I was 18. I have had scopes, releases, patella tendon repositionings, and more scopes. Now I am going to try a partial knee replacement.

These are not done very often and are very controversial. It was either this or a patellectomy(which from this board is not much of an option). I am having to take varying meds for pain. They sometimes help for a couple weeks and then I have to change to another. I have tried a lot of PT along the way and even more recently trying to fight off this surgery.

I have not been able to exercise in any way since I was 18. Up until then I was on the college track team and still running road races competitively. I learned to tolerate the pain and even at times forget it was there until this past spring. My knees flared up and would not come down. I do apend many days in bed(especially on the weekend when my husband is home to care for the children). I am struggling to just keep the mom duties up much less a job. It gets difficult when you have to work the courage up to get out of bed and many times cry doing it.

I hope you find some help. If you need to vent feel free we all understand!!

Wendy
began running long distances at age 7. Now I have two knees that have given in to my abuse! 3 scopes, LRs, Patella tendon repositionings, and years of pain. PKR on both. Diagnosed with RSD 3/4/2003.

Offline Tania

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2002, 10:05:12 AM »
Hi again, yes my knee does have good and worse days. :'( It really depends what sort of activity I try and do. I have 3 children, 10,7,1. You can imagine I'm always busy. After being on my feet for 15mins the knee starts to throb . I usually have to put my leg up till it settles down again. It's a real pain in the butt.
Finally having an MRI soon  which hopefully will show whats wrong with it before I chop it off. >:( Even a short walk with the pram is a pain literally !!!!!
       Will talk soon. Tania in Oz.