Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: failed high tibial osteotomy  (Read 3282 times)

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
failed high tibial osteotomy
« on: January 18, 2003, 08:42:09 PM »
I went to a new OS to give me an evaluation on my painful left knee that I had a HTO done on 10/01. After taking x-rays he told me the bones never healed after my surgery. I'm not sure what my options now are as my new doctor wanted to talk to another doctor before he got back to me.
I'm angry that my old OS missed this and then lied in my records and said I considered my surgery a success, that I had less pain, and that I could do more things than before, none of which are true.
I'm sure I'm looking at more surgery to fix this and I wonder if this is just a case of poor , but expected judgement lapses on the part of my original OS or negligence.
Does anyone ever consider legal action over these botched surgerys or is this considered part of the risk you take?
I see many of you have had many surgerys to try to improve your lifestyle. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks for the input. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
Re: failed high tibial osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 09:16:23 PM »
Larry~~~~

Good question.  My first surgery was a bit of a botch.  I changed OSs and I have had a lot of surgeries, but I believe the botch was fixed by the next OS in his first surgery.  I remain angry to a certain extent at the previous OS, but the situation was resolved and there was a chance I would have had the second surgery anyways so I lived with it.  I have had another surgery that had a negative result that could not have been anticipated and my current OS went back in a fixed it right away, so I really don't have an issue with that.

I think you have more of an issue as you were lied to about your recovery and the OS tried to cover his tracks.  It is very difficult to prove malpractice or mal-occurance (which would be more of your issue I would think), but it should be pursued if you stand to have a long term negative impact from the situation.  Also you want to consider the pain and suffering you incurred because of the injury or non-treatment.  You generally have 3 years from discovery of the malpractice to deal with it so I would worry about getting better first and then decide what you want to do about the other doctor.  Of course, you would want to continue to document the issue for later.

jennifer

11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline Jules122

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 06:47:11 PM »
I had surgery in June 2002.  I am still having pain and nt able to do normal duties.  How long before you realized it wasn't right? Jules 122

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 07:27:28 PM »
In hindsight I would not wait any longer than where you right now, before getting my records and x-rays and going somewhere else. I was told me leg was completely healed and the pain would go away in time and I was naive enough to believe that.
It was a shock to me to find out that my OS could miss something that important. I don't know if he was terribly inept or criminally negligent.
But the bottom line is he didn't listen to me when I said the pain was so bad I could hardly walk.
My problem was easily spotted when x-rays were taken from a different angle (knees bent from behind).
I think bones not healing is best fixed when determined early. Good luck. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2003, 08:55:24 PM »
Good question, I agree!

My first surgery was botched too, and when I got my records to go and see another os and read what the first os had written, I thought he was writing about another person!!! There were things in the report that were blatantly untrue...But since I would have needed the second surgery in any case and since it was/is almost impossible to prove the first one was a real incompetent, Idecided to leave it.  But it did make me very angry, and I wonder how many other patients he is going to "maltreat" before someone blows the whistle on him!
Good luck to you and I hope that the new surgeon can fix your knee.
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

support