Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 7 months post-op autopatellar acl recon update  (Read 2207 times)

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
7 months post-op autopatellar acl recon update
« on: June 13, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »
Since our forum faithful Jbluestein reminds us to keep posting, here goes (hoping I don't jinx myself here :) ):

Was discharged from PT and further follow-up exams with OS one month ago.  I am continuing my rehab with focus on hamstrings and quads at local university rec center.  Returned to racquetball court one month ago without brace and am playing twice a week.  I am still being cautious on the court particularly when a quick full plant and reverse in direction is required, but my faithful opponent assesses me at about 85% of my normal quickness on court.  I have gained a great deal of confidence in the operative knee with sudden hard plants and strong to moderate pivoting.  Most of the former daily pain in the knee, particularly in tibial tunnel has dissipated.  I feel that I probably could kick it up to full tilt on the court, but out of an abundance of caution I will continue to gradually advance for another five months.  I have been extremely fortunate in having had no complications from surgery (knock on wood) and am ecstatic at how successful this surgery can be. 

To jblue:  yep, I wish I had had this procedure done on my other knee when I tore acl about twelve years ago so that I could play without a brace on that leg.  Will I now have that old acl reconned? No.  I'm too old to lose another six months on the racquetball court. :) 

autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: 7 months post-op autopatellar acl recon update
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:05:30 PM »
thanks for the update racquet. glad to hear you;re doing so well.

7 months autograft post-op and you're at 85%, well done for an old guy!  :D
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline Gab

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Boston, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 04:41:50 PM »
Good job there buddy.

Well since jblue would like updates from folks who have had the surgery a while ago, I celebrated my 12-month anniversary from my operation this past Saturday the 11th. And I did this by going to the beach with my friends and toss the frisbee, football (american football  ;D) and hitting a small rubber ball back and forth with raquets. That involved a lot of running, sudden changes of direction etc and the knee felt fine. Then after that I went to play golf, knee was still fine albeit a bit tired when I got home. I had a little bit of swelling the next day but it was fine yesterday and pain-free the whole time.

I still haven't gotten back to floor hockey as I don't feel confident enough in my knee and it is such a demanding sport on the knee (lots of sprinting, sudden stop, pivot, cutting etc). I still have a noticeable strenght deficit in the operated leg (80-85% of the good leg) although the size is pretty much the same (in fact, my PT measured 0.5 inch thicker 4 inches upward of the patella since I developed my VMO so much in that area) so I'm still focusing on leg press, hamstring curls, calf raises about once a week. I run at a pace of 6.5 miles an hour for 20 minutes 3 times a week on the treadmill without problems.

Although very stable, my knee will never be the same, I have the feeling that I still have a bit of scar tissue following my clean-up in January but it doesn't affect my extension anymore. It's just that the knee pops every once in a while (it's painless) and I still have a minor maltracking problem every once in a while depending on how I plant my foot and bend the knee. But as far as doing my daily activities, it's just like before. Tendonitis at the donor site (patellar tendon) finally stopped completely around the 9-10 months post-op.

Hope that helps.
April 14th, 2004: Floor hockey accident, complete ACL tear (left knee).
June 11th, 2004: ACL reconstruction, patellar tendon autograft.
January 21st, 2005: Cyclops Lesion removal

Offline nick157

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 09:34:27 PM »
Isn't it nice to be able to post success stories after all the sh*t we've all gone through. Well, I'm almost 6 months post op and doing equally well. It still takes a good 10 minutes of warm up before I can get anywhere near full flexion (I can probably hit 150 at a push which I'm content with) but extension is fine to the extent that I've finally lost that damn limp. I'm also able to run from cold now which is a great feeling and I'm almost at sprinting pace on the treadmill (well, 16km/h for about 2 minutes before my fitness, not my knee lets me down).

My ultimate goal is to play football (English!) again but I feel it's a month or so too soon. There's actually an annual tournament I was thinking about playing in (ironicly the very same tournament I did the initial injury in) and it would have been lovely to play a year to the day since the injury for the first time again but that's a but of a fairytale and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quads are still a little weak but at least when I tense them now I can see something!

Continued good luck to you all  :)

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 04:22:57 PM »
Good going you guys!   It is nice to see how people are progressing from the surgery.  I wonder how many of us actually realized how much work we were in for. (I didn't find this site til well after surgery.)  I didn't, but I'm almost starting to enjoy the workouts at rec center...almost. :)
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline bussrott

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 01:56:02 PM »
Well here goes....Week 28 PO or 6 and a half months  ;D

It's quite spooky that I am experiencing bits of everyone else's experiences  :o

I am basically back in the gym at full speed. Strange thing is that some days I can run for a good 2 miles at a time on a treadmill feeling great and even maintain 9 Mph for a good few minutes. Then another day I feel uncomforatble after a minute or so at 6 mph as my knee doesn't feel so stable............What's that all about ????

Like Nick, my main aim is to get back to English football, but I am not going to play competitive till 12 months have past. Started kicking a ball against a wall which feels great but my keepy uppies are appalling, I seem to have lost all the sensitivity in my leg as to how hard to kick the ball. I basically feel like I have lost all elasticity and agility in the injured leg, does that sound familiar??

I think a lot of this is down to quad strength as I am still at only about 76% as I had it Cybex tested about 3 weeks ago.

Bouncing and twisting on a trampoline, whilst catching a medicene ball has been mastered I just need to hit 80% quad strength before I can begin more advanced Plyometric work.

That g'damn limp!  >:( 

I can't shake it off. I think this is more to do with the fact that I just about get 0 extension after warming up, no hyper like my good leg (5 or 6 degree's) but my OS said this was because the graft had been placed so well = a really tight knee.

I limp like crazy after being sat at my desk for an hour or so or afer being in the car for a while, but this goes after a minute or so.

As for tendonditis and swelling, don't get either regardless of how hard I work at the gym...Bring it on. But if I try a squat, after so far down my Pat tendon says Whooo, no further via pain  :'(

Overall when I look back I have come a hell of a long way, But I am still not confident in my ability/agility to retrun to my level of football. But hey, I've got another 5.5 months of PT  ::)

Nick - Love to hear more about how you are getting on striking a ball etc., haven't had the b*lls yet!!!
2000 - L/L ....Surgery for Tendonitis from Football (Like new after)
Feb 04 - R/L.....Real bad twist playing football
9 Sept 04 - Arthroscopy to diagnose damage - Torn ACL
ACL Recon Pat/Auto 12/04
12/05 Back playing Soccer like I've never been gone - HANG IN THERE! ;-)

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 04:40:54 PM »
I appreciate all who are posting their "n months post-op" experiences.

There are not many places, other than experienced PT's to get this kind of feedback.

thanks.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:35:07 AM »
Are there any rowers/scullers out there who have had their ACLs reconstructed as it would be interesting to compare progress. 

Rachel

support