Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: REALLY FED UP NOW  (Read 2850 times)

Offline higgi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
REALLY FED UP NOW
« on: August 21, 2002, 02:01:27 PM »
:( :( :(
Had ACL Reconstruction done 5th Feb this year, using the Hamstring, everything was going fine till May, now find that i get a lot of pain just below the knee cap if i go walking for a while, its like a electric shock shooting up the knee, a lump behind the knee is also present but is not hard, also find that it is uncomfortable to put my leg straight i'm not due to see the Consultant again till end of Sept, anyone any ideas please,before i chop the dam thing off, really getting me down now.

Offline Helen

• Forum Faithful
Re: REALLY FED UP NOW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 04:02:11 PM »
Hi Higgi

If it is really that bad, call your consultants secretary and make an appointment to see him/her before september. There is no point living with the pain and worrying about it when you could do something about it. If that doesnt work, go to see your GP and get him to call for you (Im assuming you're in the UK, so I apologise if you're not). They have direct access so may be able to get things moving sooner than you could do yourself.

I really should follow my own advice here! ;) Good luck with it all and dont let it get you down too much.
H
04/07/02 RL - patella tendon realignment, LR and meniscus trimmed. RSD set up home shortly afterwards....typical.

Offline PaulUKBrit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Damn Knee!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 05:10:55 PM »
Well i feel for you, i had an ACL recon back in feb 1997, and in that first year i got all sorts of different aches and pains, they tend to come and go a lot, especially in the first year, i recall when i was walking in my first year i had pains similar to what you described, although it may have been a little different as i had the patella tendon used as my graft, but im sure your condition will improve as you continue your rehab, and of course if the pain is really bad, phone your consultant!!, dont live in unbearable pain.
5 years on i still get pain now and again, comes and goes.
Best of luck
Paul

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2002, 08:39:21 PM »
Knees are strange anatomical devices!.

It would reiterate what helen has said and do phone to bring forward the consultants appt, even if they can't, it's worth asking if he will speak with you on the telephone, to discuss this problem, many dr's will do this as a) it can save valuable time when you consult with himnext and b) he can decide if you need an urgent appointment.

It is not really fair on yourself to carry on like this so make sure you do try to get seen, if this doesn't work, try your PT, they are a minefield of advice and information and will also talk to your consultant in nessecary.

Good luck and don't suffer to long.
Take care of yourself.
Iona

Offline higgi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 11:12:38 PM »
    :)Thank you Helen. Paul & Iona, i did phone but they said that they were really chocka with so many appointments, and if they had a cancellation they would contact me, but i dont hold out much hope  ::)

Offline Helen

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2002, 10:34:07 PM »
Write to him then and ask any quesions you have. Request a written or verbal reply and make it clear you really need his advice. You could also try your GP for advice. I didnt have much faith, but mine turned out to be really good and eased my concerns somewhat.
Keep trying.
Helen
04/07/02 RL - patella tendon realignment, LR and meniscus trimmed. RSD set up home shortly afterwards....typical.

Offline higgi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 08:55:11 PM »
Hiya mateys  :D

Just to let you know progress is in the making  :)
Hospital got in touch on Monday as they had a cancellation, saw the consultant and he reckons the pain is due to the lump at the back of the knee that is causing pressure, (i think it might be a Bakers Cyst ) but he said that he would like me to have a ultrasound scan first, so i have to wait for that appoinment  ::) then when i get the scan done another  ::) appoinment in 6 weeks time for the results, still in a lot of pain but feeling positive, thanks to you for your help and sharing my woes, by the way has any of you had a Bakers Cyst if so could you let me know what the treatment will entail. Thanks  :-*

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2002, 12:12:54 AM »
Thats great progress higgi- at least you are on the first step towards getting this sorted, hopefully the scan on't be that long an you will be able to get the appropriate treatment for the cyst.  Good luck, keep us posted and remember we are always here!

Iona

Offline higgi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2002, 09:48:15 PM »
Thanks Iona  ;D
Nice to find a site with so many helpful and caring people
I will keep you posted as things progress, thanks once again. xxxx

Offline higgi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 05:51:42 PM »

Hi again ;)
    Had appointment through for my Ultrasound scan, it's not till the 19th November  :(  , then i have to see the Consultant 6 weeks later,  so i'm most probably looking to early January before i knowwhat they will decide, oh well just have to keep on  :).
     Hope you are all well
             xxxx

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 10:58:10 PM »
How frustrating to have to wait so long just to find out what's wrong... and then more waiting until they can fix it.  The waiting can be so hard!!  Hang in there!
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline higgi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2002, 05:39:44 PM »
Hi again, well i had my ultrasound today at long last, its been quite a long wait, anyway the ultrasound showed that i have a lump in the leg muscle above the back of the knee, he also thinks that there may be some form of clot there but i'm not to worry about the clot ( mind you its not his leg so he would say that ) anyway i have to go back on the 9th December  instead of the begining of January and then i am to have another MRI scan to see what the lump is, hopefully this will be the end of the 7 years of pain that i have had to put up with, and i can get on living without the pain killers and spend more time going places with the kids.

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
:)Re: REALLY FED UP NOW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2002, 06:19:28 PM »
Hi Higgi,
Ive had the same hamstring ACL surgery as you (twice).
When they take the graft out its taken fairly close to the back of your knee and a long way up. Maybe where they cut the hammy its caused a cyst, clot or even just some scar tissue. I was badly bruised from butt to knee the 2nd time.
As for the pain when you straighten your leg out, I still have that after almost 3 years. Its just that last final lockin that gives me pain. They also say that after any knee surgery, you are prone to arthritis. Darn, we can't win can we  :). Hope some of this can help. I have heaps of nice photos of my op's and if theres anything I can answer for you I would be happy to do so.
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable