Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 knees- one useless and one worn-out life is wonderful ? NO !!  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Well it were like I had expected. Were and had a real look at my good knee, who had been bothering me for a while.The only functional one is even worse then the worse one. So I have one useless and one worn-out. I know I have used this knee and leg so many years in wrong way.But hey come on what should you do with one you can't stand on and one you can stand on ? Yes, of course you use the one you can use.
Clean out can help for a while but the biggest problem is how you get up on one leg again when you can't use the other one at all. ARRGGGHH, get so disappointed and mad at myself. But you can't learn stupid idiots like me to take it easy. F.i. has anyone vaccum the house on one leg at same day with no support like crutches or cane ? Guess what, I have lots of times.So know all my stupid things I've done through these years got back at me. So just have to accept the fact, 2 really bad knees. Guess I'm stucked now in this beautiful wheeler of mine, had hope before but now that's gone.
So I'm thinking of letting this knee hurt too, better then waist time doing things which might do it worser.
Sorry I'm so boring, but so sick and tired of this.
At least we could have had the sun left but rain is here again not making it better.
Hope you all have a better day !!

Hugs Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
Re: 2 knees- one useless and one worn-out life is wonderful ? NO !!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 04:46:31 PM »
Hi Nettan

Did the OS say if they could do anything to help?

Monster hugs and sending the sunshine your way

Beth x
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 05:49:39 PM »
Beth !!

Clean it out for now and hope for the best and maybe a new knee later on. Have things floating around and cyst and lot of other damages on several of the surfaces, too much to repair. That's all.
Bad naughty knee I would call it. Thanks for the hugs and sun, hope it comes.

Nettan  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

doodlebugrr

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 06:01:55 PM »
Hey Nettan!

Im sorry you are havin such a hard time! ;)  :-[ Hopefully cleanin it out will at least help a little!  :-\  :)
You have gone through so much, but hang in there!
Keep us updated! ;)  :)

take care!!

~*HuGz*~

~bekah~

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »
Hey Nettan,

Sorry to hear that you didn't get good news about your knee.  Hang in there!!!!  You always have such a positive attitude about things...your positive attitude will help you get through this as well.  I hope that cleaning it out provides you some relief!

Sending some hugs your way and I hope you get some sunshine soon!

Casey  :)
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 07:46:27 PM »
Nettan..I'm so sorry to hear how bad your "good" knee is.  Yes, you could have coddled it all these years to let you have a longer time without surgery, BUT I'll bet that would have been worse on your frame of mind.  I think you did what any of us would...try to live as normally and actively as possible.  So don't get angry at yourself!  You can't change the past!  Who knows, maybe your activities kept the quads and hamstrings strong, and you would have been worse off had you not used that leg.

Maybe cleaning it out will make a world of difference for you!  Hang in there...Kath

Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:18:26 PM »
Nettan,  :'(

Hopefully a good cleanout will relieve some of the pain.  Geez, not good news!!  Sorry to hear this, it is just not what you needed to hear. 

You figured as much - I was hoping that you were wrong though.

Sending hugs your way,

Shade

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
Hope your feeling better Nettan!!! If it makes you feel better..it takes some mad skill so vacume on crutches ;D
krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 11:03:09 PM »
Nettan,

I was concerned about your leg from what you had been saying and I'm so sorry that the OS did not have better news.  :'(   We always go to the OS with such a positive attitude and usually when we leave we are really down.  :(

I'm hopping that this cleanout will give you some relief and give you many years before it needs any other work. ;)

Sending you    LOTS   OF   BIG   H U G s !  !

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 03:44:14 AM »
Nettan,

I am going through the same thing as you now.My "good" knee has finally had enough abuse and my OS says it is worse then the other one was.  I am not going with the clean out this time and my OS agrees, MY TTT/RSD knee went through the cleanup 3 times prior to the TTT and each time the relief lasted a shorter period of time. My OS agrees with no cleanup's and feels we need to buy a few years untill they truly perfect the PKR's success rate. My damagee is all to the patella and patella femoral joint...the OS calls is severe degenerative patella femoral osteoarthritis. There is nothing to do now that would "fix" it at all other then major surgery. I will not do a TTT again so I will wait untill it becomes unbearable. I am going to try SYNVISC injections in this knee since my other knee had the injections and it left the kneecap pain gone for almost a year!!! I just have to play the "insurance game" here and go through the NSAIDS and cortisone injection till they will approve the SYNVISC eventhough we know the other things won't work.

AS I have RSD as well my OS said he will operate when it is needed and will work that all out RSD wise with my Pain Management Doctor...I am giving it a minimum of a year before surgery...It has to be much worse for me to take the surgery steps.

You are NOT alone !!!!!!!!!!! Feel free to vent or complain to me ANYTIME..I truly know from going through it as well.,what you are dealing with !!!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 07:17:02 AM »
nttn...sent u a yahoo im....will send u big ..strong vibes and lotsa hugs..stay strong...but feel what u need to in order to proccess....really really sorry for the bad news...

big hugs

ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 07:34:27 AM »
Hey everyone no named no forgotten,

well I'm still having this feeling of emptiness and sadness. Feels like the world has stopped spinning for a while.I can really tell you all that I without mentioning tried to get up at crutches again and was desperately needing this leg to manage. Now it looks like it will be a life without the things I hoped for. In fact I don't really know if I have the strenght to make another battle with those stupid knees. Maybe it's better just let them hurt. Right now I try focus on other stuff, like beeing here helping others. I know maybe that's wrong to not deal with this. But come on I'm just a human.
So I will take a long time right now and try forget this knees and go on with other things. When time comes and I have no chance then having to take a descision that day I hope are fare from here, though I know inside the day is already here.

Thank you guys. Love you all !!!

Hugs Nettan  8)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »
Nettan,

I know we would all like to wave our collective   MAGIC   WAND   and   POOF   your  knee  would  be   WELL  8) ;D 8)  Take your time savor life to its fullest and when it's time, or when you can face it, make the decision.  Remember that whatever decision you make, including the decision to put off making the decision, is what is Best for you right now.

Wishing you   SUNNY   SKIES   and   GOOD    kNEE   DAYS !  !

HUGs
Rozzzie 8)
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 04:22:51 PM »
Nettan
I am thinking about you every day!

Cari
I was surprised that your OS would say to wait a few years until they perfect the PKR's success rate.  Does he mean for your case, PFJ?  I had bilateral unicompartmental (medial) and the success rate is almost as good as TKRs depending on how well I take care of them.  My OS expects me to get 10-15-20 yrs out of these before needing TKRs.  I'm wondering if you wait and wait, how much more damage may be done to your knees and then you may not be a candidate for the partials?  Just curious to know the different viewpoints.  Thanks!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 05:56:38 AM »
Kath,

My damage to my knee is purely to the patella and many times ( I have had other opinions as well) the PKR is not as successfull dealing with Patella issues only. Many people including one I personally know need to have TKR's since it is patella issues and not mesial or lateral compartment issues. I have no narrowing in the joint spaces of these other compartments.

My OS was referring the successfullness of the PKR to my situation personally!!! He has had huge success with the PKR surgery such as yours and if I wanted to have the PKR done right now he would do it !!!!! He just felt that since I can still walk on it without a cane and the pain is not out of control that I should wait untill I am ready even if I decide in a month or so I habe had enough of waiting.   Although my TTT was successfull with my other knee I won't go through that again. So far my xrays and scans do not show any other damage in this knee other then the patella , and he will monitor the other compartments ( medial, lateral etc) and the minute we see any change in these areas, the surgery will not be a matter of waiting anymore. We would do it to prevent the need for a TKR.   

I honestly am not ready emotionally to have such major surgery right now so as long as I can wiat without causing more harm, I will try to wait.  In fact one of the reasons my TTT on my other knee was so successfull was that the only damage I had in that leg was to the patella and patella/femoral area.

Sorry to ramble........I too was not ready for this sudden "change" to my good knee so I have not yet made it sink in yet that surgery will be a reality sooner or later!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01