Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS Procedure  (Read 7873 times)

kelsaygh

Re: OATS Procedure
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 08:24:56 PM »
Hello All

I have been following the OATS postings carefully becasue this may be in my near future!  Most of whatI read sounds just like what the OS is telling me, but I have a question about NWB, braces etc. in recovery.  If you are totally NWB, do you still need a brace?  What kind?  If it is an immobilizer, how do you use crutches with your knee completely straight, when your quad is too weak to lift your leg? Or is it a brace witha certain degree of flexion?  Do you have to wear the brace at night as well? I know these sound like  stupid questions, but anxiety can do that!  Thanks for your help--every little bit of info is useful.  Kelsay

shadehawk

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »
Kelsay,

Hi, do not really think I can help you, but here is a good article that you might want to read....

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

Good luck to you,

Shade

kelsaygh

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 11:34:46 PM »
Shade
Thanks for the article, which was very helpful in that it told me pretty much what I already had been told, which was reassuring!  But I wonder if there was a misprint where they said that a patient would remain in a full-leg cast brace, weight-bearing,  for one year after allograft surgery?  I'm not too worried, because I am not having an allograft procedure, but that seemed a bit much. . .has anyone ever heard of that as a plan for recovery/rehab?  Kelsay

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 01:48:43 AM »
Hi Kelsay,

I have not heard of a full cast for a year.  It may have been when the procedure was first starting to be performed.  I was in an immobilizer for about 4 to 5 weeks.  During the first 3 weeks, I had to have it on 24/7.  The next couple of weeks were just if I was up and about.  Once I was able to do a straignt leg raise on my own, I was able to get rid of the immobilizer.  Getting out of bed was tough the first couple of weeks, I could not lift the leg on my own.  The hint is to hook the good leg on the bad and use the good to lift the bad leg.  It's a pain at first, but trust me, you'll get used to it. 

Everyone's recovery time is different.  Just go with the flow and you'll be okay.

Good luck on the procedure and recovery.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Scooter

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 01:59:11 AM »
Figured it's been a while since my last update. 

I went to the OS today and he is not happy with the degrees of motion.  Only 75 degrees to date.  At least, I thought it was 75 degrees according to my PT.  When I saw the OS he was having a hard time bending it past 45 degrees. ??? 

Let the set backs begin. :'( 

After discussing recent developments with the OS, such as pain for the last week, he decided to take a few x-rays.  Well wouldn't you know it, one of the plugs came loose.  I am going for an MRI on Friday to see if there is any additional damage to the knee.  The OS is going to meet with me next Wednesday to discuss next steps.  I'm a little nervous since he mentioned a knee replacement is definitely in the future. :o

Thanks for letting me vent, I hope everyone elses recovery is going well.

I'll post an update after the OS visit next week.

Scooter

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
Okay, MRI results and two OS visits are done with.  One of the plugs is sticking out.  This may be what is causing the pain.  Good thing is no replacement surgery.  Both OS's agree that the massive amounts of scar tissue need to come out and that one of the plugs may need to come out.  Bad thing is that the OS's have different opinions on how the surgery should be performed.  One says arthroscopy and the other wants to open me back up.

I think my OS wants to do the arthroscopy to bandage things up.  I have a feeling I'll be back in surgery in 6 months if I have it done that way. 

The new OS wants to open the knee back up and see what is actually going on in there.  He feels it will be easier to remove all of the scar tissue without taking a chance of tearing something else.  Even though he skated around the question, I think he believes the other OS should not have done the OATS procedure on the patella.

I think it may be time to change OS's and have the knee looked at in depth.  Back to the operating room it is.  Three surgeries in the past year, you gotta love it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Frank

shadehawk

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2005, 04:21:11 PM »
Frank,

Sorry to hear about the current situation with the loose plug....  That is unfortunate, but the good news is that you won't be having a TKR anytime soon....

It is tough when the surgeons don't agree, but at least they have opinions.  You are going with the procedure that will work the best for your knee.....

Good luck with the new OS,

Shade

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 05:03:33 AM »
Been a while since I last posted.

Had surgery yesterday, 12/09/05.  All the scar tissue was removed.  Luckily, the plug did not come loose after all.  The new OS believes it was the way the x-ray was taken.  I went into the surgery with 85 degrees range of motion and came out with 140 degrees (with the OS bending it while I was knocked out).  I can currently bend it 97 degrees on my own.  The OS did a lateral release while he was in there.  I can weight bear as tolerible and start PT on 12/12.  Waiting for the CPM to arrive tomorrow or Monday and have to use it 6 hours per day.  Let the fun begin.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scooter

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2005, 06:39:22 PM »
Glad to hear everything went OK, Scooter.  I just had a similar issue with the x-ray looking like the plug had pulled out too.  On the scope, I had "just" fractured the MFC around the plugs, from some residual AVN.  But the plugs were in OK position.  Weird.

Good luck.
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05