Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS Procedure  (Read 8002 times)

Offline redman21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Great Oats
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 05:46:19 AM »
Hello all,

After three glorified debridement procedures and basically just having the problem get worse and worse I have been told that the "Great Oats" procedure could benifit my issues. I have a lateral distal femoral cartilage lesion on right knee and both medial and lateral lesions in left knee in distal femor. I have a trusted OS and have scheduled the surgery. My questions are this. Basically if you have had or know someone who has had this procedure I would very much like some input on whether or not they are happy with it and maybe any other advice.

I should also mention that I am 25 yrs old and too damn young for this. Appreciate any help.

>:( ???

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: OATS Procedure
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 04:06:15 PM »
Hi Redman21,

I had the OATS procedure on 6/10 and have to say so far I am satisfied.  I currently have no pain and will be starting PT this Friday.  I had the OATS procedure on the patella so unfortunately, I cannot speak to how it feels for the femur.  There are some great postings on this site that discuss the OATS procedure.  I believe most of the individuals had the procedure on the femur.  You may want to take a look at those postings as they have provided me with some great tips for getting around during the NWB time.

Hope your procedure goes well,
Scooter

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 04:35:45 PM »
I am only 9 days post op, so I can't exactly speak about the long term results (yet). But - apparently the op couldn't have gone better (despite some iniitial concerns about the amount of damage - thought it was too much). Recovery is going well - knee looks great, I've got less discomfort now (generally speaking) than I did before the operation.

Keep in mind that this is a *major* operation; if you have it, you'll be non weightbearing for a long time (which will depend on your doc), and some intensive PT afterward. On the other hand, are the alternatives any better?

My doc has told me that if recovery goes as expected (and like I said, things are looking pretty darned good so far), I'll be back to my normal life - hiking, backpacking - no restrictions - within a year or so. I probably won't run, just because I know it's hard on the knees, and I don't want to create new problems if I can help it!

Read this forum and research the procedure on the Internet.
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 12:39:48 AM »
It has been 4 weeks since the surgery and I have to say, I am pleased so far.  No real pain other than the muscles that cramp up from time to time.  I thought I was in trouble today as the crutch slipped out from under me and the foot went down hard on the ground.  Luckily, I was only sore for a few minutes.  I was able to start my exercises shortly after.  Still unable to lift the leg on my own as the muscles are still very week.  I saw the OS on Thursday and he said I had to stay NWB for a couple more weeks or until I can do a straight leg raise on my own.

I am still having a hard time bending the knee.  I can only bend it about 35 - 45 degrees.  Does this sound normal at this stage?  The PT said I was doing fine and not to rush the recovery.

Hope everyone is doing well with their recoveries from the OATS surgery,
Scooter :)

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
It has been 8 weeks since the OATS Procedure.

I am FWB however, I cannot fully bend my knee.  The knee will only bend about 55 degrees.  My PT does not seem overly concerned about it but I am having a hard time with it.  The PT thinks it has to do with a large amount of scar tissue just above the knee cap.  She thinks she can work it out with time but I am being impatient.  Has anyone had any issues with scar tissue after the OATS? 

I see the OS on Wednesday.

Thanks,
Scooter5

Offline RichE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 06:52:11 PM »
Glad to hear you're FWB again.

Everyones circumstances are different but I'd certainly mention all of your concerns to your OS.  Even if they say its what they'd expect, at least it puts your mind at rest.

I had an issue with my knee cap clicking post OATS op.  I raised it with my OS and a week later I was having a lateral release.  It's much better now and I'm not sure I could have lived with it the way it was.  Although I'd been told to expect clicking with the amount of swelling etc. I knew this wasn't right.

Despite your PT having read your notes and spoken to you about your history etc. no one knows your knee like your OS and they will know why you're having these issues and if indeed you should be.

Good luck on Wednesday

Rich
3/99 MCL Repair
9/99 ACL Reconstruction
2/05 Microfracture
5/05 OATS
7/05 Knee Cap Lateral Release

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 12:32:23 AM »
Hi Rich,

I saw the OS today and he said the knee looks good.  He is not too concerned about the scar tissue yet.  He wants another three weeks of PT before we discuss options for the scar tissue.  He said if I work at the therapy hard enough, the scar tissue should lessen and allow the knee to bend more.  I've been given the okay to drive and he said I can go back to work on Monday.  Going back to work will be a change from sitting in this house for the last 8+ weeks.

Good luck on the rest of your recovery.  I hope everything goes well.

Thanks,
Scooter

Offline RichE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 08:37:15 AM »
Good to hear the OS is happy.

Seems like the message is 'continue working hard with your PT'!

Being able to drive and return from work will be like a breath of fresh air after the NWB period so enjoy it, although I'm not sure 'enjoy' is the right word?

Keep up the PT at home too, it'll come good with time.

Cheers,

Rich

3/99 MCL Repair
9/99 ACL Reconstruction
2/05 Microfracture
5/05 OATS
7/05 Knee Cap Lateral Release

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »
It is interesting to see the differences in NWB between OS and the type of OATS procedure.  I had the OATS procedure done in January.  I was NWB for 8 weeks and then PWB for  4 weeks.  It was a long tedious time!  I continued physical therapy until May.  I just got back to "normal" routines and began to have problems again.  I am going to have surgery now again in October!!!  My OS thinks there is a problem with the graft because my knee keeps buckling when I turn.   He wanted to do it sooner but I'm putting it off.  I'm a teacher and I wanted to get the school year started before I have to take time off.  He's hoping to "fix" things with a scope and I'll only miss a week of work but we'll see. 

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 12:06:41 AM »
Good luck with the surgery in October.  I just returned to work this past Monday.  What a change from sitting around the house and not being able to do anything.  My anke and leg have been swelling up so when I get home, I can't do anything.  Luckily, my family and my wife's family have been helping keep up the yard work.  I have a massive amount of scar tissue that is preventing the knee from bending more than 55 degrees and the OS mentioned that if it did not work out with the PT, then he'll have to go back in and remove it.  He gave me until 8/31 to see if I can work it out.

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 12:12:26 AM »
It took a long time before I could bend my knee well.  I had the procedure done in January and I was getting really discouraged with my PT.  I wasn't happy with the fact that I was bending about 60 degrees for quite awhile.  Then it seemed to happen quickly and I began improving almost daily.  I now have 110 degrees!!  It was a lot of boring, hard work at PT though.

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 12:43:53 AM »
Recovery is so different for everyone. I haven't had *any* problems with ROM or swelling with this operation. I had some problems with discomfort when I was allowed to start PWB at 4 weeks, so I went back to NWB for a few more weeks. It's now 9 (?) weeks, I'm FWB with little discomfort. The graft area doesn't hurt; I suspect the discomfort that I did experience was simply due to the healing that was still taking place. I get a little stiff if I sit in one place for more than a brief period - knee stiffens up. But - not a big deal, considering.

I haven't done any formal PT - have just been riding an exercise bike every day at home. Have iced some, but not nearly enough. My OS has mentioned the possibility of PT - talk about it when I go back for a check next week - but I'm not sure that it will be recommended. I'm just gradually increasing my activity level around the house and in our garden, am thinking about starting to walk in our neighborhood - walking for distance. Really, my challenge at this point is holding myself back - knowing my limits (what should they be? I'm clueless).
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

shadehawk

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 01:53:12 PM »
Scooter,

Sounds like your recovery has been going very well.  Have found your posts very interesting and have been following since my OA damage is also to my patella. 
So far I am hoping that this debridement I just had 6-weeks ago will be all that is necessary, but it is very interesting to read stories from other people and learn about other procedures that have helped them be relieved from some of their knee pain.
Please keep posting your progress......

Good luck everyone,

Shade

« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:01:10 PM by Shade »

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »
Hi Shade.

It has been 3 months since the surgery.  My doctor has given me the clearance to do anything I want.  I was told to listen to my knee and when it gets tired, stop and take a break for a while. 

I am only at 66 degrees in range of motion due to a builld up of scar tissue however, I am making progress everyday so the doctor is not too worried about it.  My Insurance company has stated that I am not making enough progress so they do not want to cover any more therapy.  I am in an appeals process with them over this.  I see progress and so does my OS and PT.  I am not giving up yet.

Hope you are well,
Scooter

shadehawk

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »
Scooter,

Well, good to hear that you are doing so well.  It really sucks though when insurance companies get involved. 

Hopefully you will be successful with your appeal.  Good luck with that.

You must have been very excited to hear that you had clearance to do anything you wanted - that has to be a great feeling.....

Hopefully your ROM will improve daily - keep at the exercises.

Shade

support