Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS Procedure  (Read 8000 times)

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS Procedure
« on: June 12, 2005, 01:15:13 PM »
Good morning,
I had the OATS procedure done on my right knee this past Friday.  I am having a hard time lifting my right leg to get in and out of bed.  Is this common?  How long before you feel comfortable getting around yourself?  My doc said 2 to 3 weeks on crutches but everything I am reading seems to say longer recovery.  Looking for some guidance from anyone that has this procedure before.  This is my 5th knee surgery, 1st OATS,  and I do not recall having these problems before.
Thanks.
scooter5  :)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Re: OATS Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 03:16:50 PM »
Hi Scooter,

Welcome to the OATS club! ;)  I had a really tough time at first too.  It was really hard to get my quad to fire and it hurt like heck!  It made it really hard to lift the leg up or get around.  I had a lot of pain for the first few days.  After about 5 days, I could lift my leg and move without too much pain.  I'm almost 7 weeks out and just started some PWB. 

Some OS just keep you NWB for 3 weeks or so and then allow some PWB.  Others feel that any walking before 6 weeks can damage the grafts.  My OS is one of the latter.  Also, my area grafted was fairly large, on the WB surface and was an OCD lesion, so we've been very conservative.  I don't know that there is a right answer.  You may want to share your concerns with your OS.

My OATS was the 8th procedure I've had done on my knee.  It was by far the toughest.  Even now, I don't really have any pain, but transitioning into walking again isn't easy.  I'm sore and the muscles are very weak.  I was told that the knee will be painful as you walk on it again and it takes months before it feels normal again.  You have to be patient.

I've kept a journal of my postop course, listed as OATS under the Post-Op section.  You may want to check it out, it'll give you an idea of how things went.  We also have an ongoing thread (OATS recovery) under this section too.  We're a few weeks further out from surgery, but we're recently post-op too, so we spend a lot of time comparing notes and just generally griping.

Good luck,
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 04:02:03 PM »
Danielle,
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at your recovery journal.  Good luck on your recovery. 
Thanks,
Scooter

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 04:21:47 AM »
scooter5,

I also had an OAT procedure using mosaicplasty technique (interlocking grafts versus the traditional side by side) with a total of 18 grafts in two large defects, trochlea and MFC.  I don't recall having problems with lifting my leg, but it took me a 10-14 days to get myself around.  I was locked at in a brace at 10 degrees (when not using my CPM) so I was able to pull up on the brace to place my leg in bed.   I guess if I tried to lift it on it's own, I wouldn't have done that well.  Danielle has posted a few times regarding what is helpful during post-op recovery.  I was NWB for 8 weeks and another 3-4 PWB.  The transition was from both NWB to PWB and PWB to walking was a little rough.  My biggest problem was my foot and calf.  While NWB, I was told under no circumstance to even touch a toe on my operated leg to the ground...not to rest, not to put shoes on, nothing.  It sounds like your graft(s) might not have been placed in a weight bearing part of the femur.  They do allow those who have had troclear graft to weight bear earlier, like a couple weeks.  Most physicians who focus on articular cartilage injuries recommend at least 6 weeks and up to 12 weeks of being NWB if the patient had graft placed in a weight bearing location.

Hang in there.  Keep in mind that the grafts do take time to heal.  There is new evidence that allografts are "weakest" at the 8 week mark.  I'm not sure about autografts.

So what did you have done exactly?

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:09:36 PM »
Janice,

Thanks for the feedback.  Not exactly sure what was done at this point.  I don't remember talking to the OS after the surgery.  I have had 4 previous surgeries to correct the position of the knee cap and repair any cartilage tears/scar tissue.  For this surgery, the OS took some cartilage from a different part of the knee to plug the existing hole from the previous ops.  I am not sure of the size of the plug yet.  I see the OS this Wednesday.  He had mentioned there would be a 6 inch incision and what the surgery would entail but I didn't think I would have a hard time getting in and out of bed by myself.  The surgery was on 06/10 and I have to say, today is the least amount of pain so far.  I am hoping that continues to improve.

How long has it been since your OATS procedure?

Thanks,
Scooter

Offline RichE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi Scooter,

As Danielle has already mentioned there is a thread 'OATS recovery' that I have also been diarising my recovery from an OATS procedure on the 7th of May. We have been sharing hints and tips on how to make the best of the NWB period.  I still have another 5 days till I complete my 6 weeks and Danielle is 10 days advanced of me.

On the point about lifting your leg in and out of bed.  You may already be doing this but from previous experience I find hooking the foot of my good leg under the ankle of the bad one and lifting them both in together is the easiest way in and out of bed, at least until you're ready to try lifting them independently.

Good luck with your visit to the OS

Rich.

3/99 MCL Repair
9/99 ACL Reconstruction
2/05 Microfracture
5/05 OATS
7/05 Knee Cap Lateral Release

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 11:50:31 PM »
Rich,
Thanks for the tip.  Sad to say but I have not thought of that.  I was looking forward to the OS on Wednesday but he had to cancel for a surgery.  I'll be going to him Thursday afternoon instead.  Today was a pretty good day pain wise.  I am looking forward to the days ahead.  Good luck with your recovery.
Thanks,
Scooter

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 12:47:54 AM »
I'm following this thread with interest. My doc is scheduling me for OATS - will happen sometime within the next two weeks, as soon as he can get his assisting surgeon lined up. He says he'll do autograft unless he gets in and finds that I have too much damage - in that case, he'll measure me for allograft and do nothing until that tissue becomes available (he says the only way to accurately measure is with an operation - MRIs aren't good enough...interesting).

At any rate, Scooter, you mention 3 weeks NWB? My doc says to plan on 8 weeks (right during my busy season on our farm  :( ). My damage appears to be fairly large, and in an important weight bearing area, so I appreciate his conservative approach. He asked if I wanted to wait, but - there will never be a "good" time to be NWB.

Based on advice in the other thread (thanks RichE and Beauzer), I asked my doc for a prescription for a wheelchair. When I had other major ops, I lived in a tiny apartment (stand in one room and you can reach every other room with barely a hop). Now I live in a large house (no stairs, thankfully), so a chair will help me be a little functional around the house.

I'm getting really nervous about this. It sounds like a bigger deal than the TTTs that I had before (I was only NWB for 3 weeks in one op, 2 weeks in the second). Reading what you guys have survived is giving me hope, though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 01:18:52 AM by SallyW »
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 02:06:22 PM »
Hi Scooter,

I've had 2 OATS.  Same spot...1st one failed.  I think it is really important to stress the NWB issue.  My OS wasnt as conservative as many are now and me being the impatient person that I am cheated with the NWB and probably started too soon.  At 8 weeks post op I began having the exact pains as before surgery and we later found out that the plug was not flush and had 'shifted' out of place.  The plug was fine at 1 month out so I am certain that I did too much too soon.  I needed to have the entire thing redone at 6 months.  Stupid me.  If only...

I am now just over 1 year post op the second one and things are ok with that plug.  It is totally incorporated and looks good.  Although, I now have additional lesions on the MFC and Tibia, the only place that looks good is that second plug.  I really took it easy after the second one as I'm sure you can understand having to go thru it twice was not fun.

I know alot of people have been posted about having the OATS...it is a really great procedure but you need to follow the post op protocol to the T.  Its a real test of your patience and commitment.  The NWB time is very difficult but it is crucial as is the months of rehab afterwards.

Good luck to everyone having been thru the OATS.  Maybe someone will learn from my mistake, I would hate to see someone have to go thru it again like I did. 
Hang in there...if you follow your doctors recommendations you will be out doing all the things you love in no time!!!!!!!!
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »
KathleenJ, Thanks for the feedback.  I will definately take your advise as I do not want to go through this again for awhile.  I think my wife has had enough of me the last few days.

SallyW - Good Luck with your upcomining procedure.  It will go fine.  I will admit that the NWB time has been a pain however, think of it as a vacation from doing the hard work that you do all day long.

I am at day five and have very little if any pain.  I am more uncomfortable if anything.  I go to the OS tomorrow so we will see how things went.  For some strange reason, I am looking forward to the ride to the OS office.  Probably because it is my first time out of the house since the surgery.

Good luck to all on your revoveries and have a great day.

Scooter

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 07:21:31 PM »
Scooter,

Glad to hear that things are finally settling down.  Don't feel strange about being excited about getting out of the house.  I didn't go anywhere for about a week and my first trip (to the grocery) was about as exciting as a major vacation! ;D  My husband was laughing at me.

Are you doing any PT stuff (SLR, quad sets, etc.?)  My OS thinks it's really important to not let the quad get too atrophied.  I started with some simple PT stuff right away (had home PT actually) and think that it has helped with the transition to PWB now.  Even though my quad is still weak, I can't imagine how bad it would be if I hadn't done anything at all. 

Everybody is different, though.  Rich hasn't been doing as much PT as I have (about an hour a day of home exercises, PT 2X/week and swimming 2X/week).  It'll be interesting to see if our PWB goes differently.  I have a job where I stand for 12+ hours a day, though, so my OS wants to make sure I'm nice and strong before I get back to it.

Good luck and remember, ice is your friend.
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 11:37:51 PM »
Hi Danielle,

I have not started any PT yet.  I am assuming I'll find out on Thursday when I go to the doctors.  I think he may have put the imobilizer to high on my leg.  I think that is why I am having a hard time moving it right now.

After my last surgery, my leg cramped up after removing the imobilizer.  I am hoping that doesn't happen this time.  There was more pain from that than the actual surgery.   :'(

My wife hopes this is the last surgery for a while because I am driving her crazy.  Can't say I can blame her as this was the second surgery in 6 months and she has been with me for all 5 of my surgeries.  She said I owe her a vacation.

I hope your recovery is going well. 
Talk to you soon,
Scooter

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 08:24:21 PM »
Well, I went to the OS today and found out he ended up doing three plugs rather than the one he planned for.  He had to remove quite a bit of cartilage across the entire knee and then did the three plugs.  I have a nice 6 inch incision down the middle of my knee.  It actually looks rather good.  I also found out that this was the first time he did this precedure specifically on the knee.  All of the other times he did it was on the femur.

I questioned why the short time of NWB and he stated since it was on the knee and not the femur, I would not need to be NWB for as long.

No PT set up yet.  The imobilzer was removed and then placed back on before I left.  I need to wear the imobilzer when I get up and try to walk around however, it can be removed if I am just sitting around.  Let me tell you, it feels great to have it off and let the air get to it.

I go back to the OS next week and have the staples/stitches removed.  I have been given the clearance to start bending the knee.  I am sure I'll find out about PT next week.

Danielle: You were right, ice is your friend during the recovery.

Talk to everyone soon,
Scooter :)

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 02:47:26 AM »
scooter5,

The knee joint consists of the femur, tibia and patella.  There is no knee bone.  It's highly unlikely that he did the tibia because that is very very rare with plugs. If he didn't do the femur, that leaves the patella.  Another unusual surgery.  I had plugs in the medial femoral chondyle and trochlear (femur part where the patella slides), both part of the knee.  When I talk about my surgery, I talk about a knee surgery not a femur surgery.  It sounds like you had it done to the trochlea.  Typically that requires an immobilizer in a more straight positiion. 

Just curious about the knee bone....Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 04:09:37 PM »
Hi Janice,
Sorry I wasn't more specific, the plugs were done on the patella.  He did mention that this was a very unusual surgery and the first that he had done like this.  The OS had to remove quite a bit of arthritic cartilage from the patella before doing the plugs.  That was the reason for the three plugs.  His original plan was one plug.  The imobilizer needs to be used when I get up and move about otherwise it can come off when I am sitting around.
Thanks,
Scooter

Offline redman21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Great Oats
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 05:46:19 AM »
Hello all,

After three glorified debridement procedures and basically just having the problem get worse and worse I have been told that the "Great Oats" procedure could benifit my issues. I have a lateral distal femoral cartilage lesion on right knee and both medial and lateral lesions in left knee in distal femor. I have a trusted OS and have scheduled the surgery. My questions are this. Basically if you have had or know someone who has had this procedure I would very much like some input on whether or not they are happy with it and maybe any other advice.

I should also mention that I am 25 yrs old and too damn young for this. Appreciate any help.

>:( ???

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 04:06:15 PM »
Hi Redman21,

I had the OATS procedure on 6/10 and have to say so far I am satisfied.  I currently have no pain and will be starting PT this Friday.  I had the OATS procedure on the patella so unfortunately, I cannot speak to how it feels for the femur.  There are some great postings on this site that discuss the OATS procedure.  I believe most of the individuals had the procedure on the femur.  You may want to take a look at those postings as they have provided me with some great tips for getting around during the NWB time.

Hope your procedure goes well,
Scooter

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 04:35:45 PM »
I am only 9 days post op, so I can't exactly speak about the long term results (yet). But - apparently the op couldn't have gone better (despite some iniitial concerns about the amount of damage - thought it was too much). Recovery is going well - knee looks great, I've got less discomfort now (generally speaking) than I did before the operation.

Keep in mind that this is a *major* operation; if you have it, you'll be non weightbearing for a long time (which will depend on your doc), and some intensive PT afterward. On the other hand, are the alternatives any better?

My doc has told me that if recovery goes as expected (and like I said, things are looking pretty darned good so far), I'll be back to my normal life - hiking, backpacking - no restrictions - within a year or so. I probably won't run, just because I know it's hard on the knees, and I don't want to create new problems if I can help it!

Read this forum and research the procedure on the Internet.
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 12:39:48 AM »
It has been 4 weeks since the surgery and I have to say, I am pleased so far.  No real pain other than the muscles that cramp up from time to time.  I thought I was in trouble today as the crutch slipped out from under me and the foot went down hard on the ground.  Luckily, I was only sore for a few minutes.  I was able to start my exercises shortly after.  Still unable to lift the leg on my own as the muscles are still very week.  I saw the OS on Thursday and he said I had to stay NWB for a couple more weeks or until I can do a straight leg raise on my own.

I am still having a hard time bending the knee.  I can only bend it about 35 - 45 degrees.  Does this sound normal at this stage?  The PT said I was doing fine and not to rush the recovery.

Hope everyone is doing well with their recoveries from the OATS surgery,
Scooter :)

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
It has been 8 weeks since the OATS Procedure.

I am FWB however, I cannot fully bend my knee.  The knee will only bend about 55 degrees.  My PT does not seem overly concerned about it but I am having a hard time with it.  The PT thinks it has to do with a large amount of scar tissue just above the knee cap.  She thinks she can work it out with time but I am being impatient.  Has anyone had any issues with scar tissue after the OATS? 

I see the OS on Wednesday.

Thanks,
Scooter5

Offline RichE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 06:52:11 PM »
Glad to hear you're FWB again.

Everyones circumstances are different but I'd certainly mention all of your concerns to your OS.  Even if they say its what they'd expect, at least it puts your mind at rest.

I had an issue with my knee cap clicking post OATS op.  I raised it with my OS and a week later I was having a lateral release.  It's much better now and I'm not sure I could have lived with it the way it was.  Although I'd been told to expect clicking with the amount of swelling etc. I knew this wasn't right.

Despite your PT having read your notes and spoken to you about your history etc. no one knows your knee like your OS and they will know why you're having these issues and if indeed you should be.

Good luck on Wednesday

Rich
3/99 MCL Repair
9/99 ACL Reconstruction
2/05 Microfracture
5/05 OATS

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 12:32:23 AM »
Hi Rich,

I saw the OS today and he said the knee looks good.  He is not too concerned about the scar tissue yet.  He wants another three weeks of PT before we discuss options for the scar tissue.  He said if I work at the therapy hard enough, the scar tissue should lessen and allow the knee to bend more.  I've been given the okay to drive and he said I can go back to work on Monday.  Going back to work will be a change from sitting in this house for the last 8+ weeks.

Good luck on the rest of your recovery.  I hope everything goes well.

Thanks,
Scooter

Offline RichE

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 08:37:15 AM »
Good to hear the OS is happy.

Seems like the message is 'continue working hard with your PT'!

Being able to drive and return from work will be like a breath of fresh air after the NWB period so enjoy it, although I'm not sure 'enjoy' is the right word?

Keep up the PT at home too, it'll come good with time.

Cheers,

Rich

3/99 MCL Repair
9/99 ACL Reconstruction
2/05 Microfracture
5/05 OATS

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »
It is interesting to see the differences in NWB between OS and the type of OATS procedure.  I had the OATS procedure done in January.  I was NWB for 8 weeks and then PWB for  4 weeks.  It was a long tedious time!  I continued physical therapy until May.  I just got back to "normal" routines and began to have problems again.  I am going to have surgery now again in October!!!  My OS thinks there is a problem with the graft because my knee keeps buckling when I turn.   He wanted to do it sooner but I'm putting it off.  I'm a teacher and I wanted to get the school year started before I have to take time off.  He's hoping to "fix" things with a scope and I'll only miss a week of work but we'll see. 

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 12:06:41 AM »
Good luck with the surgery in October.  I just returned to work this past Monday.  What a change from sitting around the house and not being able to do anything.  My anke and leg have been swelling up so when I get home, I can't do anything.  Luckily, my family and my wife's family have been helping keep up the yard work.  I have a massive amount of scar tissue that is preventing the knee from bending more than 55 degrees and the OS mentioned that if it did not work out with the PT, then he'll have to go back in and remove it.  He gave me until 8/31 to see if I can work it out.

Offline doleriggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 12:12:26 AM »
It took a long time before I could bend my knee well.  I had the procedure done in January and I was getting really discouraged with my PT.  I wasn't happy with the fact that I was bending about 60 degrees for quite awhile.  Then it seemed to happen quickly and I began improving almost daily.  I now have 110 degrees!!  It was a lot of boring, hard work at PT though.

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 12:43:53 AM »
Recovery is so different for everyone. I haven't had *any* problems with ROM or swelling with this operation. I had some problems with discomfort when I was allowed to start PWB at 4 weeks, so I went back to NWB for a few more weeks. It's now 9 (?) weeks, I'm FWB with little discomfort. The graft area doesn't hurt; I suspect the discomfort that I did experience was simply due to the healing that was still taking place. I get a little stiff if I sit in one place for more than a brief period - knee stiffens up. But - not a big deal, considering.

I haven't done any formal PT - have just been riding an exercise bike every day at home. Have iced some, but not nearly enough. My OS has mentioned the possibility of PT - talk about it when I go back for a check next week - but I'm not sure that it will be recommended. I'm just gradually increasing my activity level around the house and in our garden, am thinking about starting to walk in our neighborhood - walking for distance. Really, my challenge at this point is holding myself back - knowing my limits (what should they be? I'm clueless).

shadehawk

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 01:53:12 PM »
Scooter,

Sounds like your recovery has been going very well.  Have found your posts very interesting and have been following since my OA damage is also to my patella. 
So far I am hoping that this debridement I just had 6-weeks ago will be all that is necessary, but it is very interesting to read stories from other people and learn about other procedures that have helped them be relieved from some of their knee pain.
Please keep posting your progress......

Good luck everyone,

Shade

« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:01:10 PM by Shade »

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »
Hi Shade.

It has been 3 months since the surgery.  My doctor has given me the clearance to do anything I want.  I was told to listen to my knee and when it gets tired, stop and take a break for a while. 

I am only at 66 degrees in range of motion due to a builld up of scar tissue however, I am making progress everyday so the doctor is not too worried about it.  My Insurance company has stated that I am not making enough progress so they do not want to cover any more therapy.  I am in an appeals process with them over this.  I see progress and so does my OS and PT.  I am not giving up yet.

Hope you are well,
Scooter

shadehawk

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 10:20:50 PM »
Scooter,

Well, good to hear that you are doing so well.  It really sucks though when insurance companies get involved. 

Hopefully you will be successful with your appeal.  Good luck with that.

You must have been very excited to hear that you had clearance to do anything you wanted - that has to be a great feeling.....

Hopefully your ROM will improve daily - keep at the exercises.

Shade

kelsaygh

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 08:24:56 PM »
Hello All

I have been following the OATS postings carefully becasue this may be in my near future!  Most of whatI read sounds just like what the OS is telling me, but I have a question about NWB, braces etc. in recovery.  If you are totally NWB, do you still need a brace?  What kind?  If it is an immobilizer, how do you use crutches with your knee completely straight, when your quad is too weak to lift your leg? Or is it a brace witha certain degree of flexion?  Do you have to wear the brace at night as well? I know these sound like  stupid questions, but anxiety can do that!  Thanks for your help--every little bit of info is useful.  Kelsay

shadehawk

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 09:00:49 PM »
Kelsay,

Hi, do not really think I can help you, but here is a good article that you might want to read....

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

Good luck to you,

Shade

kelsaygh

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 11:34:46 PM »
Shade
Thanks for the article, which was very helpful in that it told me pretty much what I already had been told, which was reassuring!  But I wonder if there was a misprint where they said that a patient would remain in a full-leg cast brace, weight-bearing,  for one year after allograft surgery?  I'm not too worried, because I am not having an allograft procedure, but that seemed a bit much. . .has anyone ever heard of that as a plan for recovery/rehab?  Kelsay

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 01:48:43 AM »
Hi Kelsay,

I have not heard of a full cast for a year.  It may have been when the procedure was first starting to be performed.  I was in an immobilizer for about 4 to 5 weeks.  During the first 3 weeks, I had to have it on 24/7.  The next couple of weeks were just if I was up and about.  Once I was able to do a straignt leg raise on my own, I was able to get rid of the immobilizer.  Getting out of bed was tough the first couple of weeks, I could not lift the leg on my own.  The hint is to hook the good leg on the bad and use the good to lift the bad leg.  It's a pain at first, but trust me, you'll get used to it. 

Everyone's recovery time is different.  Just go with the flow and you'll be okay.

Good luck on the procedure and recovery.  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Scooter

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 01:59:11 AM »
Figured it's been a while since my last update. 

I went to the OS today and he is not happy with the degrees of motion.  Only 75 degrees to date.  At least, I thought it was 75 degrees according to my PT.  When I saw the OS he was having a hard time bending it past 45 degrees. ??? 

Let the set backs begin. :'( 

After discussing recent developments with the OS, such as pain for the last week, he decided to take a few x-rays.  Well wouldn't you know it, one of the plugs came loose.  I am going for an MRI on Friday to see if there is any additional damage to the knee.  The OS is going to meet with me next Wednesday to discuss next steps.  I'm a little nervous since he mentioned a knee replacement is definitely in the future. :o

Thanks for letting me vent, I hope everyone elses recovery is going well.

I'll post an update after the OS visit next week.

Scooter

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
Okay, MRI results and two OS visits are done with.  One of the plugs is sticking out.  This may be what is causing the pain.  Good thing is no replacement surgery.  Both OS's agree that the massive amounts of scar tissue need to come out and that one of the plugs may need to come out.  Bad thing is that the OS's have different opinions on how the surgery should be performed.  One says arthroscopy and the other wants to open me back up.

I think my OS wants to do the arthroscopy to bandage things up.  I have a feeling I'll be back in surgery in 6 months if I have it done that way. 

The new OS wants to open the knee back up and see what is actually going on in there.  He feels it will be easier to remove all of the scar tissue without taking a chance of tearing something else.  Even though he skated around the question, I think he believes the other OS should not have done the OATS procedure on the patella.

I think it may be time to change OS's and have the knee looked at in depth.  Back to the operating room it is.  Three surgeries in the past year, you gotta love it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Frank

shadehawk

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2005, 04:21:11 PM »
Frank,

Sorry to hear about the current situation with the loose plug....  That is unfortunate, but the good news is that you won't be having a TKR anytime soon....

It is tough when the surgeons don't agree, but at least they have opinions.  You are going with the procedure that will work the best for your knee.....

Good luck with the new OS,

Shade

Offline scooter5

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 05:03:33 AM »
Been a while since I last posted.

Had surgery yesterday, 12/09/05.  All the scar tissue was removed.  Luckily, the plug did not come loose after all.  The new OS believes it was the way the x-ray was taken.  I went into the surgery with 85 degrees range of motion and came out with 140 degrees (with the OS bending it while I was knocked out).  I can currently bend it 97 degrees on my own.  The OS did a lateral release while he was in there.  I can weight bear as tolerible and start PT on 12/12.  Waiting for the CPM to arrive tomorrow or Monday and have to use it 6 hours per day.  Let the fun begin.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Scooter

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2005, 06:39:22 PM »
Glad to hear everything went OK, Scooter.  I just had a similar issue with the x-ray looking like the plug had pulled out too.  On the scope, I had "just" fractured the MFC around the plugs, from some residual AVN.  But the plugs were in OK position.  Weird.

Good luck.
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05