Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: post op femoral osteotomy  (Read 10613 times)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: post op femoral osteotomy
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 02:30:09 PM »
Kat,

That is good news.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 10:45:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I had a 2 month post op from staple removal and scope and a 7 month post op from the fem os surgery yesterday. I did lose the cane about 3 weeks ago. My concerns at this point are I have a click or catch in the lateral side. Medial side is mildly tender and where are we going from here? OS says the catch could be scar tissue or fat deposits. If it does not hurt leave it be at this point. Medial tenderness could be a combination of healing from 2nd scope and nerves and muscles getting used to the new alignment. My activity level is also increasing. Future maybe lateral pkr, tkr is a given. I am hoping to buy 10 years. I emphasize hoping.Gait is what it is he prepared me that it would be different. I think strengh and endurance will help there. All and all not a bad visit. He released me and said to call if I had problems. As I have been reminded full recovery is still down the line.

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 05:05:58 PM »
hi kat,
I've been following your progress, thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm curious about one of your comments, that your doctor prepared you for changes in your gait? I'm not sure what you mean by this.
I had my 5 week follow-up with my OS yesterday, after my Fulkerson on 12/19. One of the things my OS said reminded me of your comment. He said something about my new alignment would "take some getting used to," as I
was living with the misalignment for so long. I didn't know what he meant, and it was kind of mentioned in passing, so I didn't ask about it.

Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2006, 09:27:21 PM »
Hi Tangerine,

Thanks for following my thread I am happy to know that I can help.

Gait is the way you walk. I had walked with my leg knockkneed for so long I did not realize how bad it was. Now that my leg is straight and the weight bearing is offloaded to the healthy side of the knee my gait is different. My left leg is also a tiny bit shorter because of the shift in alignment. I have had a bout of bursitis because the pes anserine bursa just woke up and relized what we did. All the medial structures are having to get used to the shift. Muscles, tendons and nerves are all waking up and saying "HELLO it was not this way before"

Good Luck with your recovey and please stay in touch.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline tangerine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 06:55:23 PM »
Kat,
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. My problem was patellofemoral pain caused by my knee tracking too much on the lateral side. So I haven't thought my gait adjustment would be too noticable, as it would be from a knockkneed situation.
But my OS did say that I would have some soreness once I start walking again. I guess time will tell.
Thanks again,
Tangerine
marathon runner
LR rt. knee 9/04 - unsuccessful
Fulkerson TTT 12/19/05 - rt. knee
Fulkerson TTT 12/27/06 - Lknee

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 08:47:11 PM »
Hello all,

Here we are 9 month post op femoral osteotomy. All and All I think we are doing well. Knee is getting used to new alignment and gait pattern is getting better. Or I  am getting used to it. Of couse if I push Agitha reminds me to slow down. I am doing well in
school and have been offered a job as a post partum care giver for a birthing center. I know there are not alot of femoral osteotomy  victims here, but if I can help in any way please let me know.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline My Sister Sam

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 10:40:07 PM »
Kat,

Well, as you know, I am a femoral osteotomy victim, but at least I am in the company of wonderful people   ;)

You are doing great, and I'm so happy to hear you feel your gait is improving! I know you've been concerned about that, and I truly understand. I am still waiting for the Rx to have the lift put on my shoe to shore up the length difference. I hope it will help get me on the way to walking correctly. Baby steps.....

Congrats too on the new job, and the new life out in front of you. I think you'll make a teriffic caregiver!  You've got a good heart for it.

Hugs,

Liz
'70 Auto accident - Salter Harris IV fracture distal femoral epiphysis - R knee
'71 R - Bony Bar Resection femoral epiphysis
'78 L - Epiphysiodesis
'79 R - Distal Femoral Osteotomy/LR
'04 R - TTT/Medial Reefing 
'05 R - Trochleoplasty/Medial Reefing/TTT
'05 R - AIR/LOA
'07 R - TKA

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2006, 01:44:48 AM »
Liz, getting to know you has been one of the best things about this ordeal. ;) Yes it is about baby steps. Thanks for your encouagement and support. I hope I can help someone like you helped me. Remember that first message????

Hugs Kat and the boy's
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 09:37:31 PM »
Hi Kat
Glad to hear everything is going well after a few hiccups along the way.
I haven't posted here much as I've been spending a lot of time on a yahoo group for fixator wearers. Basically, in November I still had non union of my femoral osteotomy so I had surgery to striaghten my leg and fit a three ring external fixator to ensure I have no movement at the osteotomy site. Three and a half months in I have had one ring removed and now have a provisional date for removal of the whole thing. This will be April 18, almost a year to the day of my original surgery. It's been a long haul.
Now my ROM is so poor (25 degrees) because of scar tissue and lack of use so I face further surgery to try and sort this out.
I hate crutches, knees, dressings....!!
Hope you are well

Halide
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002
TTT and femoral osteotomy April 2005
Removal of hardware due to nonunion of osteotomy July 2005
Application of 3 ring external fixator Nov 2005
One ring removed Feb 17 2006

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:52 PM »
Hi, Halle,

I was just wondering about you the other day.I had read about the external fixator rings a wondered how you were doing. I am so glad to here from you. It does sound like you have been through a haul. I am glad to hear you have a date to get the rest of the rings off. What happen from there?? Please keep your chin up and let me know if I can help or if you just need to vent.

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi Kat
Thanks for the kind wishes.
Now the osteotomy is almost healed my next problem is going to be bending my knee after 12 months of no movement. I had the lower ring removed about six weeks ago so now I only have two above my knee which enables me to do physio. I went from no movement six weeks ago to 34 degrees last week. Although this is obviously a move in the right direction it is such a small ROM that it seems almost nothing. My physio thinks that I will continue until about 60/70 degrees when I will plateau and require surgical intervention for the scar tissue - a scope to remove as much as possible, quadriceplasty and manipulation under anaesthetic. My OS wants me to "normalize" the knee for a couple of months after removal before deciding what to do next.....
It's going to be a long haul but at least I am seeing progress now and I am so looking forward to having a proper bath and wearing jeans!!

Take Care

Halide x
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002
TTT and femoral osteotomy April 2005
Removal of hardware due to nonunion of osteotomy July 2005
Application of 3 ring external fixator Nov 2005
One ring removed Feb 17 2006

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 04:34:44 AM »
Hello all,

Coming up on the 1 year mark of the evil femerol osteotomy. ;) I am doing very good.  Gait pattern is good. Activity is increasing daily, and life does not always revolve around the knee, leg and surgery. I am doing great in school and my boys are growing up quickly. I am happy I had it done.

Kat and the boy's from Texas
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline hmfc5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 03:36:47 AM »
Just wanted to thank you for all of the insight you provided with your post-op diary. I am now 7 weeks post-op from a distal femoral osteotomy. I am still on crutches, but do not have much pain. I am getting real tired of the crutches and not having free hands to carry things, but overall it's going well. The stationary bike and I have become friends since I was given permission to use it to aid in range of motion.
Now that you are more than one year out, do you feel fully recovered? My OS said to expect 6 months to a year for full recovery. Some take longer, but because I am relatively young (26), he thinks it should go quickly. Any advice in terms of physical therapy? When did you start and how long did you do it for?
Thanks for any advice that you can give.
Heather

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 03:57:03 AM »
Hello Heather,

It is great to hear from another person who went thru this. This is an operation that you do not see alot. It is brutal and the recovery is long.

It is great you can do the stationary bike. Work the range of motion.. Crutches get old very quick as you saw I was chasing kids. I went everywhere lake,beach anywhere. Yes 6 months to a year is a goal. You are much younger than me.

Advice to pt work your quads. I did not have pt because of money and I did not do a good job of doing it myself.

My best advice is to listen to your leg. I feel fully recovered, but I do not do stairs. At least I avoid lots of stairs. At school people think I am being lazy. I am going to school to be a surgical tech. My OS assured me I could do this after my osteotomy.

Please keep in touch

Kat
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 04:09:27 AM »
Hey Kat,

Keep up the good work. I am 4 months out since I had a HTO ( high tibial osteotomy). Soon, you'll be back on your feet and back to normal routines. The pain for me subsided about a week or two out. After that, I just loved getting high off of the suckers. Its addicting and I can see why.  :)

Anyway, keep up the good work. We are all routing for you

Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"